Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Major Oil Change Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 10:29 AM
svd85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Major Oil Change Problems

So i had to take a long trip and forgot to change my oil and didn't have time so i figured i'd go to an instant oil change place (although i've heard bad things about them, i figured how bad can they possibly be)... well about 250 miles into the trip, my check gauge light came on and noticed that i did not have any oil pressure. I pull over and come to find out my oil filter fell off (it was sitting on the access door to get to the oil filter and fell when i opened the door) and lost pretty much all my oil. I screwed the filter back on and got some more oil and started it back up and the same thing happen... I come to find out they put the wrong oil filter on my truck.

Now, after filling it with about 4.5qts of oil and putting the right oil filter on, i hear this ticking noise which i took a video of. it is coming from the top of the engine (i am assume something with the valves). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahgk-n5xDg8 noise did not go away after i put oil in it and let the truck run.

I guess my question is how bad is the engine damaged and what can that noise be... I drove about 3-5 minutes going about 30-40 mph without oil before i safely pulled over and figured out what happened. I called the place that did the oil change and they told me that they will reimburse me for all my expenses and they will have the engine looked at but don't i have a right to take it to MY mechanic as well and have them pay for the expenses? ... on the phone he said don't take it anywhere else first and to bring it to him first.

So, how bad is the damage and what are my rights?

Just to remind everyone, i have a 2000 chevy blazer, 6cyl, 4.3L

Thanks for the help

Old 11-08-2009, 01:45 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by svd85
...I called the place that did the oil change and they told me that they will reimburse me for all my expenses and they will have the engine looked at but don't i have a right to take it to MY mechanic as well and have them pay for the expenses? ... on the phone he said don't take it anywhere else first and to bring it to him first...
You have 3 choices:
1.Take it back to them.
2.Take it anywhere you choose and pay for it yourself.
3.Get a lawyer.

Old 11-08-2009, 05:34 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would advise that you do all three of the above. #2 first to get their opinion on the damage and the cost to repair it. Take it to another place that you trust and get their opinion and an estimate. Then contact the district attorney and get their opinion of what to do. If they say that you should consult with a lawyer, do it. Then go back to the shop that did the work and show them the estimates. They are at your mercy.

Hopefully you still have the filter they put on. Does your receipt have the filter part number on it? If so, does it match with the filter they installed?

Old 03-28-2010, 10:26 AM
MrBill99 is on a distinguished road
Default Valve noise on start

This might be caused by a leaky anti-drainback valve in the oil filter. The good news is that you might cure this issue just by replacing the oil filter that is currently installed...no need to change the oil. Check out my post here for more detail:

https://blazerforum.com/forum/showth...ght=oil+filter

The noise in your engine on the YouTube video sounds like valve lifter noise, which is what I had with my 99 Blazer. Mine was coming from the aftmost cylinder on the driver's side...you might want to slide around to the side of the engine and see if you can locate the exact part of the engine where the noise is coming from.

Hope this helps. If it's just the oil filter, that's good news for you and an easy fix. Find an oil filter brand that works for you and avoid the brand(s) that cause the noise.
When the anti-drainback valve doesn't do its job, it deprives the valve train of lubrication at startup.

MrBill99