Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Manifold Leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 07:11 PM
CodyL. is on a distinguished road
Default Manifold Leak

I recently found out that I had a manifold leak on my 2000 s10 Blazer. I went to the shop and they quoted me for $291.00, being a broke college student, I can't afford it. Is there any temporary fixes anybody knows about or can inform me about at least until I can afford it?

Old 11-06-2012, 08:03 PM
jaystoy is on a distinguished road

Well where exactly did they tell you it was leaking on the manifold? Vacuum leak? Coolant leak?

Old 11-06-2012, 08:12 PM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road
Default I would only use this in emergency situations

But if your manifold is leaking on bottom side where its bolts to the heads you can buy a can of K&W block sealer.I have used this product many times especialy on blown head gaskets.
I had 91 Pontiac 6000 with 3.1 blown intake gasket.I was on a road trip so I used the K&W product.It lasted about 3 months before I had to finaly do the job the right way.

I might add that the K&W is only for leaks on the coolant side of the gasket.

You can also try tightening down the manifold bolts that you can get to.
Its also not a very difficult job to remove and replace the gasket and manifold.
If its the gasket inbetween the upper and lower planem the plastic part tht fastens to the metal part then replacing that gasket is very easy to do.

So you can save alot of dough if you are mechanicaly inclined.

Last edited by 1sttimejimmyowner; 11-06-2012 at 08:33 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:26 PM
Beginning Member
tmnc78 is on a distinguished road

I cant really think of and I wouldn't advise a quick fix for that. If its the upper gasket its only about 25 dollars for a whole new upper manifold gasket set. The only special tool you really need is a long #10 socket. You do have to unbolt the fuel lines to get it off though so its all how comfortable you are doing this kind of stuff. If not just call around and see would do it for less, its not really a $300.00 job if you ask me.

Old 11-06-2012, 09:22 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by 1sttimejimmyowner
But if your manifold is leaking on bottom side where its bolts to the heads you can buy a can of K&W block sealer.I have used this product many times especialy on blown head gaskets.
I had 91 Pontiac 6000 with 3.1 blown intake gasket.I was on a road trip so I used the K&W product.It lasted about 3 months before I had to finaly do the job the right way.

Its also not a very difficult job to remove and replace the gasket and manifold.
If its the gasket inbetween the upper and lower planem the plastic part tht fastens to the metal part then replacing that gasket is very easy to do.

No.... Just no, Do it the right way.

Old 11-06-2012, 09:27 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by 1sttimejimmyowner

This is just pointless YOU HAVE the heads off DO the job the correct way....

Old 11-06-2012, 10:06 PM
Starting Member
Joshs4x4 is on a distinguished road

Dont do a bottle fix!

Old 11-07-2012, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by xgiovannix12
This is just pointless YOU HAVE the heads off DO the job the correct way....

He doesnt have to take his heads off just the intake manifold.

Old 11-07-2012, 12:15 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

NOW i look dumb damit....I ment to say intake. LOL I wouldnt seal it with that stuff any ways.....

Just get the gasket for it.. Not expensive

Old 11-07-2012, 03:29 PM
Smile Notice at the title of my post

I said use in emergency situations and I stated its a temporary fix.Cody never mentioned how mechanicaly inclined he is and given the fact he stated he took his vehicle to the shop to get an estimate on how much the job would cost.I also gave a couple of other suggestions which may help the man out.
Anyways theres nothing wrong with a bottle fix if its just temporary and K&W is a great product compared to others.I have used bars leak and some other products they dont do the job as well.If he needs help to do the job permantely he came to the right place Im sure any of us with experience would be more than willing to help walk him through the process so he can complete the task.

Quick Reply: Manifold Leak