Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Misfire at idle

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2020, 09:19 PM
bagginses is on a distinguished road
Default Misfire at idle

I recently picked up an '02 Blazer and have been becoming increasingly confused and frustrated with it. I am having a misfire issue that I can't seem to chase down. Here is everything I have done so far and my current symptoms:
-Replaced the fuel filter when I first acquired the rig.
-Did a tune-up with all new parts: AC Delco Cap and Rotor, AC Delco ignition coil, NGK Wires, AC Delco Spark Plugs, K&N Air Filter.
-Replaced the fuel injector 'spider' (when I first bought it, it had a more significant misfire and hard starting that I traced to a leaking 'spider' component by performing a fuel pressure leak down test). Ended up going with the MFI conversion assembly (P/N: FJ503) because I had to get it done in a weekend and didn't want to try to chase down individual leaky component(s).
-After replacing the injectors, the engine ran MUCH better but it still has a bit of a misfire that I can't seem to figure out. Seems to run fine at speed but has a slightly rough idle.
-Yesterday it threw a CEL with a P0301 code (misfire, cylinder 1) so I checked the plug, wire, etc. and reset the codes. It then shortly came up with a P0306 code (misfire, cylinder 6).
-I had originally installed copper plugs but today swapped to the OEM iridium in an effort the fix the misfire to no avail.

A couple things that may or may not be related:
-When I hook up the fuel pressure gauge it will initially got to 45-50 psi when I turn the key and then drop to about 30-35 psi and maintain about there when running. After shutting the engine off, it will retain about the same pressure. This seems like normal operation but I am not sure; usually I deal with pre-fuel-injection engines.
-Sometime when I put gas in it, it will be difficult to get the pump to stay on. It will keep shutting off like it is full but it is not.
-When it is running, I run the 'EVAP system leak test' on my OBD scanner and it will fail. Once I shut it off, it will pass; again, not sure if this is normal or not.

Any ideas/insight for what I can look at next? I am thoroughly mechanically inclined but I mostly deal with pre-1980 vehicles so I am admittedly not very knowledgeable when it comes to EFI, emissions components, and all the computerized stuff. I have been able to fumble my way through most of the checks I've found so far with some guidance but now I am at a bit of a loss and getting tired of messing with the thing. My OBD scanner is pretty basic but if there is info I can pull from it that will help with the 'forum diagnosis', let me know.

Thanks in advance for any help or insight.

Old 10-18-2020, 12:04 AM
go chevy is on a distinguished road

I am just throwing it out there, but maybe try cleaning the Throttle Body and Mass Air Flow Sensor... Might not be the right fix but it definately wouldn't hurt either

Old 10-23-2020, 12:51 PM

A few updates (but unfortunately no solution yet):
Cleaned the TB and MAF to no avail. TB definitely needed to be cleaned but the misfire is still there. In the process, I also found a broken vacuum hose and replaced it; that made it run better but I can still feel a misfire.

Just double checked the fuel pressure last night and it actually builds to ~55 psi with the first key turn and will go up to ~60-65 after a second or third key turn. Doesn't seem to hold above 55 for the prescribed 10 minutes but it holds for a long while. When idling, pressure drops to about 50 psi. Found a good deal on a new fuel pump so I'm going to replace it for S&G but that doesn't really seem like the issue.

One page I saw mentioned Long Term Fuel Trim. Mine shows 1 @ ~14% and 2 @ ~7%. Not sure if that helps but does seem like a big difference. Fuel mileage is about 16-17, which seems low but I'm not sure. My girlfriend was behind me yesterday and told me it smelled like it's running rich. My CEL came back on with a cyl. 1 misfire but has since gone away.

Still at a loss here. Might just leave it for the next owner to figure out...

Old 10-24-2020, 10:13 PM
Doxieman is on a distinguished road

I acquired a 2000 Silverado a few years ago, same 4.3 engine and trans. I had the same symptoms as you described, and consequently did everything you have done so far, to no avail. I ended up pulling the distributor again and checking the gears since I didn't really look at them when I pulled it replacing the spider. They were very worn ( truck had 220K miles). Went to Advance, picked up a new one for around $65, installed it and have been running absolutely great ever since. I hit the key and it's purring with half a crank. So you might check your distributor gears for wear while you still have some hair left.

Old 10-25-2020, 12:51 PM
Beginning Member
whislinwings is on a distinguished road

Check it at night when running. looking for jumping sparks.

Old 10-25-2020, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Doxieman
I acquired a 2000 Silverado a few years ago, same 4.3 engine and trans. I had the same symptoms as you described, and consequently did everything you have done so far, to no avail. I ended up pulling the distributor again and checking the gears since I didn't really look at them when I pulled it replacing the spider. They were very worn ( truck had 220K miles). Went to Advance, picked up a new one for around $65, installed it and have been running absolutely great ever since. I hit the key and it's purring with half a crank. So you might check your distributor gears for wear while you still have some hair left.
Seems like a good suggestion; hooked up my scanner today and it shows the spark advance all over the place between 15.5 and 19.5, not sure if that's normal but doesn't seem like it. Guess I know my project for next weekend.

Old 12-07-2020, 05:09 PM

An update and a few new developments:
-Replaced the distributor to no avail.
-Also swapped the oxygen sensors for S&G, no change.
-CEL seems to come and go, as does the roughness of the idle.
-The idle seems to be smoother and the CEL goes away after I fill the tank.
-When I do fill the tank, it has a tendency to shut off early (at times immediately) and will be hard to start right after I fill up.
-CEL comes back on somewhere between 3/4 and 1/2 tank.

Still at a loss on this, hoping someone has other ideas?

Last edited by bagginses; 12-07-2020 at 08:41 PM.
Old 12-18-2020, 08:50 PM
Seth Tyler Smith is on a distinguished road
Default Icm

I have a 89 4.3 tbi it was running rough at start and would shut off of sat idleing for a little .. I replaced the ICM and that fixed it but I’ve seen them so the same thing with a bad vac line or egr ...lots of things just have to narrow it down

Old 05-04-2021, 07:16 AM
Jjb62 is on a distinguished road

I'm curious if you have solved this? Thanks!

Old 05-04-2021, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Jjb62
I'm curious if you have solved this? Thanks!
I did not, I ended up getting it to a point where I can live with it. I suspect it is related to the EVAP system (doesn't like to start well right after I fill it with fuel and the misfire/CEL seem to come and go based on fuel tank level) but I gave up trying to figure it out.

Quick Reply: Misfire at idle