Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

More Power V-6 4X4 Jimmy 97

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 03:59 PM
Starting Member
John Fauerbach is on a distinguished road
Default More Power V-6 4X4 Jimmy 97

I have a 1997 GMC Jimmy 4X4 SLE. I have a rebuilt engine and tranny. This summer I plan to do a lot of work on it, because I want to keep it, all new exhaust, Por 15 chassis, brakes, possibly replace master cylinder, have transfer case rebuilt, sheek all seals and bushings and I'd like to raise it and put on larger wheels, but here is the BIG issue...What I want to do more than anything else is get more power. I am the second owner of this Jimmy and from day one it was and is under powered. I once bent an engine rod (first rebuild) just driving uphill (small mountain) in a snow storm (low traction). It was pulling hard, but with no load when it went. Over the years I have checked out truck and hot rod magazines hoping to insert a V-8. But, putting a V-8 into an S-10 platform with 4X4 is not possible. Two wheel drive you can do it. 4X4, no! I am new to this site and have not yet figured out how to search to find what I want to know, so please cut me some slack. I have the v-6. Has anyone out these done anything to the engine ( or tranny and transfer case) to improve the gut-less-ness of this vehicle. I make a run out on the prairie every week. When I leave town its up-hill for about 3 miles and it takes forever to get up to 70 unless I want to put the pedal to the floor and make the tyranny down shift. This vehicle could really use more power (torque) and I am wondering who has successfully done this and how. Thank you.

Old 03-04-2019, 04:08 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Why can't you v8 swap a 4wd? Especially if you plan on lifting it, the front diff will be well away from the oil pan.

Other than maybe adding forced induction, and all the headaches that would entail, you're gonna find there's not much "hot rod" support for this engine

Old 03-04-2019, 06:45 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by cleburne red
Why can't you v8 swap a 4wd? Especially if you plan on lifting it, the front diff will be well away from the oil pan.

Other than maybe adding forced induction, and all the headaches that would entail, you're gonna find there's not much "hot rod" support for this engine
The lift kit does not require moving the transfer case and it sits in the way of installing the V-8 easily. The series of articles on the swap did so with a two by. As for a 4X4, the authors who were mechanics (Not me..I'm a gear head garage hack) said they would not themselves try the V-8 swap in the 4X4, because of the transfer case and the multiple changes that would be required to shoe horn the engine in.

The swap the magazine did with the two wheel drive was complicated enough. It was a lot more than taking out one engine and putting in another. Still, maybe some one in this forum has figured something out that would allow such a swap with minimal changes required. I don't know. It would be nice if somebody has done it and can share how.

By the way...thanks for your response.

Old 03-04-2019, 07:08 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

I just did a quick Google search, and there are kits sold to drop a V8 into a 4wd S10/Blazer.

I've never really looked into it, but I don't see why the tcase would be an issue. An SBC is very similar in size and shape to our 4.3s, just one more cylinder on each side. Seems like going with an electric pusher fan and ditching the belt driven fan would give the extra room at the front, and leave the transmission and tcase in place

Again, I'm not a source of knowledge about V8 swaps by any means. I'm just a dude making stuff up as I go along lol

Old 03-05-2019, 02:17 AM
Starting Member

Didn't know there was a kit. That I'll look into it. I started with this site now I'll move on. If I find a good kit I'll come back to this forum to see if anybody has installed it. I think a small V-8 would really solve the power problem of the Jimmy. I still recall when I had the rebuild put in. It worked just great, but was no improvement over what died. Thanks for your input. Keep wrench'en.

Old 03-05-2019, 06:40 AM
chevyriders is on a distinguished road

I believe the only major clearance issue with v8 swapping a 4x4 is the oil pan, and I know they have oil pans available to solve that.