Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Motor Mount Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 11:24 PM
Beginning Member
tmaxxs10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Motor Mount Help!!

I am in the process of replacing the motor mounts on my 98 4dr 4wd blazer. Anyone have any pointer on how to get them back in?. I got the top two bolts in but cant get the bottom one in on driver side. Thanks

Old 06-24-2009, 02:53 AM
Banned for childishly attempting to delete all his posts
jsmz is an unknown quantity at this point

you know, thats funny because when i did mine.. i never put that bolt back.. its in my console.

anyway i hope you bought poly mounts. ive already broke two rubber drivers side mounts in less than a year just driving to work and back everyday and climbing a couple hills.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:38 PM
reelbroke2 is on a distinguished road

I replaced mine too and found you have to install all 3 bolts loosely before you tighten them up or the holes will be off a little, also make sure that none of the new rubber has blocked the hole making it impossible to reinstall, i had to trim excess off..Hope this helps

Old 06-24-2009, 04:53 PM
Starting Member
gscrippler is an unknown quantity at this point

Changing the mounts is a PITA!! as mentioned already i had to cut away at the dry rotten mount to get the bottom bolt it sags down and covers the bolt head also when i reinstalled the new one I took a big screwdriver and bent down the metal tab so I could get my socket in there and then bent it back. Good luck very time consuming job hope you have long extentions and swivels BTW I think you can install the bottom bolt and then turn the mount upright to put the top 2 in

Last edited by gscrippler; 06-24-2009 at 04:55 PM. Reason: More information
Old 06-25-2009, 12:09 AM
Chochi is on a distinguished road

When I changed mine I removed the top two bolts, removed the center bolt. Then lifted the engine and rotated the mount a bit to gain access to the bottom bolt. Not fun. Its pretty crammed in there.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:16 PM
Beginning Member
s10blazed is on a distinguished road

Any more specific advice from the guys who've done this before? I am really on the verge of pulling the whole motor to change it. I've got the large center bolt out but can only see 1 of the 3 others to change it. The front differential is entirely in the way. Is there anything that should be removed to make my life easier? I have put about 12 hours into this now and only 1 bolt removed that I need off. It is really past the point of frustrating.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:17 AM
Beginning Member

So I got my mounts changed last night after alot of hassle. One thing I kept reading is to lift the motor up by the oil pan, which didn't leave me enough room to get my big hands in there and work. I did however discover that lifting the motor with an engine lift by each side individually tilted the motor more ****-eyed and gave me more room. Noticably more. So anyone having trouble with this, just try to lift the side you're working on rather than the whole engine straight up. It made a night and day difference for me. Plus I don't have any left over bolts sitting in my center console. (although those 2 bottom bolts [talking about both mounts] were a real pain to get started in)

Old 08-20-2009, 11:11 AM

lol. glad you got it figured out.

i dont have a lift of any kind available so I was feeling about the same as you were im sure (ready to light the world on fire). Just got so sick of messing with it, i didnt care one bit about that last bolt at that point.

Now I have a body lift, and those troubles are behind me. never again will i have issues fitting things up in tight spaces.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:06 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by jsmz
never again will i have issues fitting things up in tight spaces.
That's what she said.

But I don't see how a body lift would help with the motor mounts. I practically had the whole front end off (for other tasks, not just motor mounts) and it was still bothersome.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:02 PM

well my main issue getting them back in was the bell housing and crap was actually touching the underside of the firewall and i couldnt raise it any more than where it was at.

also gained enough room between the frame and inner fender that if i pop the steering shaft off (easily accessible with the new 2" of clearance), I can actually reach the mount bolts from in the fender

Last edited by jsmz; 08-20-2009 at 01:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Motor Mount Help!!