Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

My poor mileage problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 05:29 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough
Default RE: My poor mileage problems

Before I did the cap + rotor on my truck, I was doing about 200 - 250KM for every 45 - 50L of gas...

before the cap + rotor wore out, I was getting over 300... but that was in the summer, lol. so far, it looks like I'll be getting about 300km out of the same amount of fuel... and that's not babying the truck...

Old 12-21-2007, 09:13 AM
blznlowxtreme is an unknown quantity at this point

whats up w/ this KM and L? thats like a metric system or something. lol i have no idea what that converts into in miles and gallon.

Old 12-21-2007, 09:17 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

That's right, it is metric, they are Canadians and use that system. Here's a linkto online conversion programs you can use to get the figures into our system.

Old 12-21-2007, 09:41 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a conversion utility that is geared directly at mileage conversions, just pick the appropriate conversion you want to make --> CLICK HERE

So drperry, lets average that out and your 200-250km = 225km and you 45-50L = 47.5L which translates to a 21.1 L/100km (100 * 47.5 / 225). Using the utility above, that equates to 11.1 miles per US-gallon.

Old 12-21-2007, 09:50 AM
blznlowxtreme is an unknown quantity at this point

ok thsnks, loking at how swartlkk done that math, 11.1 mpg is not too good

Old 12-21-2007, 09:57 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you take drperry's updated mileage of 300km per 50L, that would translate to a 16.67L/100km or 14.1 miles per US-gallon. If it were 300km per 45L, that is 15L/100km or 15.7 miles per US-gallon. This is quite plausible for winter time driving and/or not being kind to the accelerator pedal.

Old 12-21-2007, 10:57 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

What is it about winter up north that cuts down on mileage? Down here in winter engines run better and mileage increases. It's summer that kills us because we have to run the a/c constantly.

Old 12-21-2007, 10:58 AM
Administrator

Additives in the fuel to improve cold starting.

Old 12-21-2007, 03:47 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

Yeah, I didn't drive my Blazer very nice while it was in need of cap + rotor...

For the record, I normally use MPG, and didn't have any conversion programs for converting MPG to L/100km...

My dad is old, so Ilearned MPG, lol.

Mostly, the only additive they put in the fuel is gas line antifreeze, I think... Depending on which gas station you visit.

You don't want your gas lines freezing up at -40, lol.

Old 12-21-2007, 05:57 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Back to the original poster.
Disconnect the 02 sensor and see it that makes a difference in your gas mileage? If not, your 02 is shot and needs replaceing. Once the truck warms up the puter goes into closed loop mode and reads the 02 sensor. If the 02 isn't providing information the puter goes into defualt mode. It'll run, however your gas mileage will suck.

The other thing is your engine temp sensor. Not the gauge temp sensor. If the engine temp sensor isn't sending the proper temp to teh puter it will never go into closed loop and it will never look for the 02 reading, again the effects is your gas mileage will suck, and if you have a '93 or later truck with the 4L60E puter controlled tranny your tranny will never go into lock up mode and you risk frying it. The puter uses the tranny heat to shorten how long it takes to get the engine up to operating temp. The puter doesn't monitor tranny temp, so it could get dangerously hot and you wont know it.

Quick Reply: My poor mileage problems