Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

need a 4.3 aluminum block

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 07:56 PM
dirtdriver85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default need a 4.3 aluminum block

does anyone know where I can find an aluminum 4.3l block at? I need to rebuild my motor and the one I have is shot. any help would be great. thanks

Old 05-14-2008, 09:24 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: need a 4.3 aluminum block

um... GM 4.3L aluminum block...??? They are cast iron.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:30 PM

not all of them are cast iron. I have an aluminum one right now but need one to rebuild one

Old 05-14-2008, 09:33 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Well then... What do you drive? Year? I'm very curious as to how you got an all aluminum 4.3L block...

The article linked to below is pretty much the resource for rebuilding the 262. No mention of an aluminum block...

Rebuilding the New Chevy 262 by Doug Anderson

I'm not trying to be difficult, just trying to determine what it is that you have. The 4.3L v6 was only offered in a cast iron block from the factory.

Old 05-14-2008, 10:18 PM
xmradioguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep chevy never put an aluminum 4.3 block in any s-series trucks. If you say yours is aluminum either its aftermarket or possibly a marine engine( don't even know if those were aluminum)

Old 05-14-2008, 11:01 PM

Just so everyone here knows, I never said anything about what it came in or that it was stock in something, all I did was ask if anyone knew where I could get one. The motor I have is in an off-road car (nothing stock). I got the first motor from a builder in Las Vegas but he gave me crap parts on the block waas hurt so I need a new or used block in good condition so I may rebuild it with someone else. I know of 2 places to get one but the price seems to me to be a bit on the steep side. Sorry if I made any confusion for anyone.

http://www.hotrod.com/pitstop/hrdp_0...nce/index.html

Here is something that talks about it so you guys can see for yourself

Old 05-14-2008, 11:10 PM
Administrator

What kind of block is it? V6 or V8? Longitudinal or Transverse mount? You aren't giving us any real information to go on here... Only information is that it is a 4.3L and that it is an aluminum block. Not sure what else to say...

*EDIT* - More questions... Is this motor based off of the GM Vortec 4.3L or is it based off of the Buick 3.8L? If based off of the 3.8L, TA Performance has an all aluminum v6 block capable of being punched out to 271CID (4.3L = 262CID). Down side is the bare block is $3900 from the cataloge page I found...

Old 05-14-2008, 11:10 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

GM 4.3 marine was an aluminum block, never made it in any production trucks but it can fit with some mods. They are pricey.

Theres even some gen1 RWD 2.8 and 2.5 AL blocks floating around.

Old 05-14-2008, 11:27 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: dirtdriver85

http://www.hotrod.com/pitstop/hrdp_0...nce/index.html

Here is something that talks about it so you guys can see for yourself
Well right there is your PN... 10134371... If you want that block specifically, I guess you'll need to pay for it... $3500 is the cheapest I found that PN for, but the website wasn't all that spectacular.

PACE Performance carries it for just a tick under $4k... Man, for that kind of dough, I would put the money towards building a more powerful cast iron block to make up for the added weight (probably over double the weight for a cast iron block - 150-200lbs). But you didn't ask about that...

*EDIT* - The aluminum block is ~80lbs while the cast iron block is ~165lbs. Is 85lbs weight savings worth the additional $$$? 25534333 ($1800-$2000) is for the cast iron block with nodular iron caps and grade 8 hardware.

Old 05-14-2008, 11:45 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Man 350horse from a mild build on a 4.3L, add in a power booster to hit 500 horses. Too cool.

Talk about a screamer.

I got a spare block sitting in the garage some guy I used to work with gave to me. How could I tell if it was an aluminum block? I know its shiny and no rust on it.

Quick Reply: need a 4.3 aluminum block