Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Need engine help

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 09:08 PM
Starting Member
lityjohn701 is on a distinguished road
Default Need engine help

I just replaced the engine in my 1998 blazer with a 1998 s10 motor it runs fine but I'm getting a p1345 code and no miss fire how do I time it with the distributor being fixed in a position?

Old 03-10-2013, 02:17 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

i dont believe you can you cant adjust it once its in. it will throw a code saying its off if youre off by one tooth. is that what the p1345 is? i put one in wrong before and it idled fine but soon as i went to drive it it didnt get very far

Old 03-10-2013, 02:52 PM
50lb_cat will become famous soon enough

You can hook it up to a capable scan tool. It should be zero degrees plus or minus two. You can adjust it by loosening the hold down clamp. Be sure to have a relearn done of the crank and camposition.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:10 PM
Starting Member

How do I do the relearn?

Old 03-10-2013, 09:18 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

P1345 means the distributor gear is not meshed properly with the cam, (it's off at least one tooth). Once you get it meshed properly, and the P1345 goes away, you'll need to take it to a shop and have them adjust camshaft retard. No relearn involved, unless you disturbed the crankshaft position sensor.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:36 PM
Starting Member

Well the motor I put in it didn't have a crankshaft sensor so I took the one out of the old motor and put it in the new one and I will try to adjust the the distributor but I still don't junderstand how they can adjust the retard because the distributor cap is fixed I belie it's called a static distributor you cannot turn it

Old 03-10-2013, 09:39 PM
4X4GS10B is on a distinguished road

They do it electronically, computer controlled.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:47 PM
Starting Member

The distributor cap is held down one one spot you cannot rotate it to adjust timing is what I meant

Old 03-10-2013, 09:56 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Camshaft retard streaming data is viewed on a scan tool, it is adjusted by rotating the distributor. The inside diameter of the intake manifold, (where the distributor goes through) is larger than the outside diameter of the distributor. This "slop" allows the distributor to turn, more or less on an arc. P1345 sets at ~27 degrees, (or more) the adjustment only allows ~15 degrees total adjustment. On older vehicles, timing was adjusted by rotating the distributor and it was part of the job to adjust timing after distributor installation. On this engine, turning the distributor does not adjust timing. It aligns the camshaft position sensor with the camshaft. Spec is zero degrees + or - 2 degrees. The adjustment is not something you can do "by ear" or by "seat of the pants", gotta use a high end scan tool. Adjusting camshaft retard is part of the job when installing the distributor. When camshaft retard is correct, the rotor segment is aligned with the distributor cap terminals when the ignition coil fires. If cam retard is off, the gap increases, right along with crossfire in the cap. If cam retard is excessive, it will shorten the life of the distributor cap, rotor, ignition module, ignition coil and in extreme case it can destroy the ignition module output driver in the PCM.

Last edited by Captain Hook; 03-10-2013 at 09:58 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:07 PM
Starting Member

Ok thank you Captain Hook do you think auto zone or somewhere like it has one of these scan tools to use? Do you have any ballpark on how much it might cost to do cam retard or advance by the shop? I'm sorry for being so annoying but this has been a problem that's been bugging me for a while so let's say I get the p1345 code to go away by just adjusting the distributor then do I have them scan it and tell me cam retard?

Quick Reply: Need engine help