Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

NEED HELP--- Knocking noise can't diagnose

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 10:12 PM
Beginning Member
adaptechsolution is on a distinguished road
Default NEED HELP--- Knocking noise can't diagnose

Hey guys hope I am posting this in the right area as I am a newbie to this site... I got two issues I'm faced with right now.. 1. After getting stuck in the mud and letting my Brother-in-Law play with getting it out, i cleaned it off and went to make sure it wouldn't shake/shimmy on the road. When I dropped a gear to get up to 65/70 a few minutes later it started knockin. It is rythmic with the motor but gets quieter under a load gets loud again after you let off the gas and it sounds louder. Noise usually only starts after the engine warms a little bit.

So far I..

Pulled all push rods and reseated them to make sure they weren't bent or anything wrong with them. Got rocker-arms good and snug.

Still prob..

Did all little stuff like sea foamed it, added lucas oil treatment and checked everything else out such as bolts on flex plate and so on.

My brother in law (mechanically inclined) told me about taking off the oil pan to check for something but didn't quite understand what he was talking about.

Please if you could i need to get this taken care of. What could be going on. All help would be appreciated..

Old 03-07-2010, 11:19 AM
Beginning Member
Default Anything...

I noticed a lot of people viewing this already but no replies, if anyone has any ideas what so ever just throw them at me. any and every little bit will help. trust me i'm willing to take all suggestions and roll with them. Not trying to be impatient just a family truck that needs to be runnin right since the wife and baby use it and i'm rarely in the area... ( don't need a breakdown...)

Old 03-07-2010, 11:33 AM
Starting Member
1997 red blazer is on a distinguished road

Question,,, how is the oil pressure?

Old 03-07-2010, 12:42 PM
Beginning Member
Default so far

oil pressure is good. i just changed it less than a 1000 miles ago. whatever it is, it seems to lessen when you have a load on the engine. whether your speeding up or just pulling something..

Old 03-07-2010, 01:00 PM
Starting Member
1997 red blazer is on a distinguished road

Could it be a cracked Flexplate? I had one that was cracked at the mounting points where it bolts to the crankshaft and sounded like a Engine rod knocking. Not sure if this is your problem but thought I would put this Info out to you, as you say the Engine still has good oil pressure. Hummmmm. Hope this Helps?

Old 03-07-2010, 01:01 PM
Banned for childishly attempting to delete all his posts
jsmz is an unknown quantity at this point

its really hard to say without hearing it. have you checked for codes with a scanner?

Old 03-07-2010, 02:04 PM
96Blazernut is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 1997 red blazer
Could it be a cracked Flexplate? I had one that was cracked at the mounting points where it bolts to the crankshaft and sounded like a Engine rod knocking. Not sure if this is your problem but thought I would put this Info out to you, as you say the Engine still has good oil pressure. Hummmmm. Hope this Helps?
That's what it sounds like to me. Something else to check is the harmonic balancer. Jack it up and start it, get under and listen. This will give you a better idea of where its coming from. It is hard to diagnose when you can't hear it.

Last edited by 96Blazernut; 03-07-2010 at 02:06 PM.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:29 PM
Beginning Member

don't have any codes at all..
almost 100% sure no crack in the flexplate.. (wouldn't that show other signs of prob also?)

i had gotten a stethescope and excuse my newbiness but the noise sounded very distinct and loud when i placed the steth right in front of the last rear pass spark plug. i had someone look at it that is one of those guys that can work on anything if you can catch him not drunk...yeah well he told me it was sounding like a connecting rod or somethin.. anyone know a hassle free way of checking that out without it killing me? Don't have anyone to really help to much but the wife... and ya know how that will go.

Last edited by adaptechsolution; 03-07-2010 at 05:48 PM. Reason: left something out...
Old 03-07-2010, 10:18 PM
Banned for childishly attempting to delete all his posts
jsmz is an unknown quantity at this point

crawl underneath with it running and take a long socket extension place one end on the oil pan somewhere and cup your hand like a funnel around the other end and put your ear up to the open part of your hand. This works like a ghetto-rigged, hill-billy stethoscope & you can move it around to different places on the pan to get a better idea of where the noise coming from.

Attached Thumbnails NEED HELP--- Knocking noise can't diagnose-201003072211_168.jpg  
Old 03-07-2010, 11:19 PM
Beginning Member

I am almost 100% sure that it is a connecting rod or the bearing to it. I listened to a few videos i found on youtube that have been found to have the same prob and it sounded identical in every way. On top of that I have no clue if it matters with such case but noticed that there is slight oil build up from the drain plug/bolt also... (I know for a FACT that i tightened it good too...)
So with that being said I am going to wait another week till the weekend and drop the pan to see if that is the problem or not. At least if it's the bearing the local parts store round here sells it for $2.85.. Free "labor" and 2.85... can't beat that.

STILL THOUGH... if you got any suggestions keep posting again i'm all ears.

Quick Reply: NEED HELP--- Knocking noise can't diagnose