Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

need help with my 96 blazer please!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 02:10 AM
my96blazerneedshelp is on a distinguished road
Default need help with my 96 blazer please!!!!

hello my name is joe, i recently purchased a 1996 blazer 4dr 4x4 4.3 vortec v6!! it has 132,000 miles! about 3 weeks ago it ran out of gas on me before the gas light came on, i thought ok, gas gauge must not work so i watched it more carefully and bam a few days later it runs out of gas again, a notch or 2 before it ran out before. so i gas it up and away i go again. a few days later it just dies out on me and would take a little while to start but then run, but when i would pit it into drive it would die out. so after dieing out 7 times i finally got it to autozone and asked them to test it for me. it was not throwing any codes. so they checked the battery,starter,and alternator and told me that the battery and starter were both bad? so i replaced the battery and drove it home. the next day i take it to town and it stalls out on me agin like 5 times. so i get it to advance auto and i have them test the starter alternator,and battery and all tested out to be fine. so i take it to my local service center to have it diagnosed and the guy keeps it for like 4 days and tells me that the fuel pump needs replaced and that it would cost me $650.00 well i told him that i did not have that kind of cash and was on disability and could not afford that much. so i took it home. a week later i got up the money for a new fuel pump and i had my buddy put it on for me. the truck still ran the same. it wouls stall out and just shut off! so since then i have replaced the folling: new fuel pump: new starter:new alternator:2-new o2 sensors:new belt tensioner:new catalityc converter:new air cleaner: took it for a test drive today and went up to the local gas station pretty good, until on the way home i came to a stop at a stop sign and as soon as i would go to take off it died. then while on the way back home it started to die wile driving down the road ,but recovered itself and i made it home. any ideas or suggestions????? thanks so much in advance for any help or advive! thanks again! joe (buchanan,michigan)

Old 03-23-2013, 07:11 AM
AndrewO1991 is on a distinguished road

always replace the fuel filter when changing the pump, so do that. Then another possibility is you may need to replace the spider injectors. Results on a fuel pressure test and leakdown test would let you know it that's a possibility. I would do the fuel filter no matter what.

Old 03-23-2013, 04:43 PM

thanks! i already picked the fuel filter up, now just have to get it put on, looks like the bolts that are on it have been rounded off with vise grips or something? and the lines look rusty, so i imagine it could turn out to be a bit of a job! thanks for the help! really apreciate it! joe

Old 03-26-2013, 02:22 PM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road

It wont be easy and dont worry about trying to loosen the nuts on each end cause the line is going to break.Cut off all of the bad line and splice in with new piece of line.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:41 PM
Default update!! update!!

turns out it was the main computer control that was bad!! should have it back on the road on monday!!! thanks for help!!! blazer for life!!!!