Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

needto replace engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 04:59 PM
Beginning Member
gibson_es is on a distinguished road

Eerrrr.... my bad, I should pay better attention, im a bit stressed over the issue. Anything else I need to look out for?

Old 10-14-2010, 05:05 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The only other difference has to do with the lower intake. The 96-97 engines have a temperature sensor located in the lower intake near the thermostat while the 98+ do not have the machining for this sensor. This sensor on the 96-97 motors is for the PCM. The 98+ combine the PCM sensor with the gauge sending unit sensor located in the driver side cylinder head.

They should have swapped over the lower intake, but they could have drilled/tapped the hole out for the sensor. It too is NPT thread. I believe it is 1/2" though, but could be 3/4".

Old 10-14-2010, 05:50 PM
Beginning Member

Im geting very agrivated, im being told that its lifters now, by somene else. How the heck can you tell the difference? Im trust my other Machanic over this one I think. But im still going crazy.

Old 10-14-2010, 05:53 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Does it sound like a heavy knock or more of a tick or tap?

Old 10-14-2010, 09:29 PM
Beginning Member
ArRay68 is on a distinguished road

I found an '05 4.3 from a truck for $900. It had 42000 miles on it. I put it in an '01 4x4 Blazer. It seems demand for the 4.3 is up with the boat people. Depending what has been damaged, you will have 600-800 in a rebuild. At least that what I added up on my old one. U Pull It may have something that can work for you. Good luck

Old 10-14-2010, 09:31 PM
Beginning Member

Not sure I would call it heavy, it could be worse, but its def. Not a tap, a knock for sure, itsworse then it was just a couple weeks ago.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:42 PM
Beginning Member

How is the oil pressure? I forgot to ask that.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:06 PM
Beginning Member

I was going to get a new sensor this weekend, and then an oil pump if it still read bad, I didn't check it before the oil change, bit a few days ago I did an oil change with 10w-40 and I know after hat I noticed it was low,I assume it was low beforehand as well. It read almost 0 at idol, but when driving or revving its 40, according to the gauge... what are the odds its a lifter or somehig? Could I just replace the oil pump ( if its the pump and not just a sensor) and then run straight 40 oil with some lucas (say 4quarts pool and 1 quart of lucas motor treatment)? That's better then an engine swap and about a $40-$50 fix.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:18 PM
Beginning Member

if that is correct on pressure, sounds like the lower end. Rod and main bearings.
i have had bad experience with lucas and 10w40 on newer GM engines. 5w30 without anything is a general rule. i would get an accurate read on oil pressure to verify.
is there any metal in the filter or on plug magnet?

is it a 4wd? if it is the front axle is in the way to drop the oil pan.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:44 PM
Beginning Member

Its 2wd

Quick Reply: needto replace engine