Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

needto replace engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 12:39 PM
Beginning Member
ArRay68 is on a distinguished road

that will be easier to drop the pan. good luck

Old 10-15-2010, 01:38 PM
Beginning Member
gibson_es is on a distinguished road

I didn't get a chance to look at the KS last night, hopefully tonight or tomorrow night I can do so, im hoping my wife can find another way to work on monday giving me the time to replace the oil pump and change the oil as well

Old 10-15-2010, 04:06 PM
Beginning Member

Found a 4.3 from a 97 bravada. About 200,000 miles on it. A bit much, but if it runs. He's only admin$ 100 for it.

Old 10-17-2010, 08:34 PM
Beginning Member
ArRay68 is on a distinguished road

is it knocking at idle? if so the knock sensor wont be the problem.That is for adjusting timing at higher speeds. Eliminates the labor knock.

Old 10-22-2010, 09:47 PM
Beginning Member
chevygonzalez is on a distinguished road

Gibson, one thing to remember if you decide to get a new crank-kit is to make sure that all the metal chips are cleaned out of the oil system--blow all the oil cooling lines.
You won't know how bad the damage is until you remove the oil pan and check what's the extent of the damage. If a piston and rod caused severe damage to the piston walls, you would have to do much more repair and spend more money. I'm doing a 99 blazer and I shall soon find out how bad the damage is. I got some quotes on a new crank kit at Azone for $195 (not bad). Good luck.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:01 PM
Beginning Member
chevygonzalez is on a distinguished road

Even if you put a new oil pump, it's not gonna get rid of a knock which I believe is from the piston rod. In fact, Beware that you may have metal cotaminated oil and that can ruin the new oil pump. Make sure that you change the oil, oil filter, and clean the oil cooling lines, Don't keep starting the vehicle if the engine knocks badly, you could be causing more damage.

Old 10-23-2010, 06:13 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks so fae guys.... decided an engine swap was the best way to go. Started yesterday, turns out I can't do much on it today, which is bad as I have a short time frame. Lucky for me the guy I bought it from has a father who is a mechanic, so he is helping, for a fee of coarse. He said he would do it. All for $200, but to male sure its done on time me and a friend of mine are still gonna spend all day sunday helping him, and were hoping to get 3 hours or so im tomorrow if we can strech our schedule.. . Im taking random pics along the way, I will try andpost them after the project is done. I had got a new oil pump and oil pan gasket last week, not realizing it was a pain to put in. So I kept it and went ahead and out it in the new engine yesterday while it was hanging from the trees. Madeit easy as pie.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:55 AM
Beginning Member

Still in the process, on day four. Getting closer, there's about a 50% chance it will be finished today. Stillgot to swap a few more things over to the new engine, and get it in and running.only two of us today were as here have been three all the other days.