Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

New 97 4X4 4DR Jimmy, bad engine options

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 08:48 PM
jimmyeatworld is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New 97 4X4 4DR Jimmy, bad engine options

I just picked up an EXTREMELY clean Red 1997 Jimmy SLS 4DR with 4x4 from a shop buddy of mine for $400. He bought it off the owner for $300 after itstarted knockingand she was going to send it to the junk yard after hearing the quote. I couldn't pass it up, so I gave him the money as I need a good daily driver and an SUV would make my family vacation to Texas for spring break next month a whole lot better.

Right now it knocks at idle and I am very familiar with rebuilding the 4.3 as I have done quite a few for his shop and as recently as yesterday. I was pricing out the rebuild and was also starting to steer towards doing a 98 Vortec 350 swap. My worry is that I will open a can of worms in doing the swap. I mean if it were just as easy as some of the threads have laid out...... why aren't there more of them?

My first option is to throw el-budget rebuild into it and just pull the motor, and make sure the rod bearings didnt spin. Yank the crank out and get it machined and slap new bearings in without even removing the heads or pistons, flush everything out and put new timing water pump etc on it. All that for about $450 and I am not into this engine too much to keep me from swapping later on if I really want to.I did this for a friend about 2 years ago on his blazer and so far no problems and he beats the snot out of it.

If I go with a Vortec 350 swap, I have to get the mounts, radiator, pcm retune, wire it up, modify the pan. All this for 1200-1500 depending on the 350 engine cost. Rebuilding the 4l60e would cost me nothing to put it to the specs to handle the new engine... so that I don't need to factor in.

If you were in my shoes and had only 2-3 days a week to work on it about 3-4 hours at a time? Do you think the swap could be done and reliable enough to drive from Chicago to South Texas before my trip late March?

If

Old 02-09-2008, 08:58 PM
88_Blaze4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: New 97 4X4 4DR Jimmy, bad engine options

well if i were u id just do the budget rebuild like you were saying and after your trip then do the 350swap. just to be on the safe side and a little more timejust incase there are complications with the 350 swap.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:00 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

With that time span, a swap probably isn't in the cards. Too much uncertainty and not enough time for trouble shooting. I would do the budget rebuild.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:04 PM

That is what my "daddy" brain says to do. Rebuild and get it rolling first.

My lead foot tells me to go V8, but I have my 97 WS6 TA to feed that need I guess.

Old 02-10-2008, 06:14 PM
95_4door is an unknown quantity at this point

I had the same dilema right before christmas. I blew my motor. I could have gotten a motor for mine and had it in for under $500. I opted to do the 350 swap. I had to wait till taxes to buy all the parts. I have bought most of them, and I've already spent $900 with the price of the motor, trans, and swap parts. In the end I'll have spent about $1300. In my opinion, it is going to be worth the extra money.
You should have enough time if you work on it every chance you get, but what if you don't get it done in time? If you have another vehicle that will work to get you to and from your vacation, then I would say go for it. If not, I don't know if I would chance it.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:29 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

What is knocking in the current engine?

How pissed will the family be if you cancel the vacation?

Will the truck make Texas as it sits now?

If it'll mkae Texas as it sits now, collect the parts, and do the swap only if you have the time. Worst case scnereo you drive her as she sits now.

How important is it to have a V8?

Old 02-12-2008, 08:47 PM

I have a 2004 malibu that I can stuff them into, so another car isnt an issue.

I think I'm just going to rebuild the current motor. If I want a V8 later, I may just sell the Jimmy and get a K5 or something with a 350 already. I need something to tow my TA, and doing it in the Jimmy would probably be out of the question...... even with a v8.

Thanks guys, I'll let you know how it turns out. With the crappy weather here I'm begging for 4wd already.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:59 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

My stock '00 S10-Blazer can tow 5,400 pounds. That should cover a car on a trailer.
Drop in that V8 and you wont have any issues with hills. Plus its the cool factor, and a smioke screen when you light em up.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:47 AM

The 2 of the 3 tracks I visit are pretty far (74 miles to Byron, 86 miles to Route 66). Lots of stop and go city driving or the first half of the trip to Route 66 or Byron.

I always thought it wasn't really a matter of power, but the weight.
My TA weighs in about 3400lbs or so
I figure the hauler weighs about 1200lbs give or take

Roughly about 4600lbs without tools or other things I usually take along.

The jimmy weighs in at about 5300lbs

I was always told never go over 3/4 of the total weight of the vehicle doing the towing? It may be able to do it, but it just isn't safe is what I have been told nearly my whole life. I may only tow it once or twice a year and mainly so I can bring the family along with me when daddy breaks the "loud green car"

Old 02-19-2008, 03:16 PM
Jsqualls is an unknown quantity at this point

I am in TX and need a new 4.3L for my 98 Blazer. You rebuillt your 4.3L, drive down to my buddys shop in Nacogdoches Tx, and we can swap your 4.3L into my Blazer. The only problem is all he has is built L92s, so we would need to figure out some way to fit one of those in your Jimmy for the ride home.

Seriously though, I am have to make the same decision. I don't really need a 350, but it sure would be nice to have one.

Quick Reply: New 97 4X4 4DR Jimmy, bad engine options