Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

New 97 4X4 4DR Jimmy, bad engine options

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 10:45 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: New 97 4X4 4DR Jimmy, bad engine options

Rebuilding the 4.3 is just like rebuilding a 350. The 4.3 is a 350 with two pistons removed.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:20 PM
jimmyeatworld is an unknown quantity at this point

I finally got around to pulling the motor on the thing. I ended up pulling the trans and transfer case just to have my friend run through them. Engagement was harsh, so it is better safe than sorry.

I pulled the motor apart today and found #3 and #6 rods spun and it was about to spin main #3 but I got lucky. Rods and pistons are on the way to the machinist to get a run through and I already tanked most of the parts like the pan, valve covers, intake etc. This weekend I'll run aflex hone through the cylinders, do the valve job on the heads and then reassemble everything.

The underside of the car is cherry. Doesnt look like it was driven winters much. It will need shocks though. 10 year old stock DeCarbon's made the thing feel like a boat when I pulled it around the shop.

I didn't have my camera this weekend, but I'll see if I can snap some shots of it while I reassemble it all and get it on the road.

Old 03-04-2008, 04:46 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Cool.
Def get some pics.
I got a '93 4.3L block sitting in the garage I want to rebuild, just haven't gotten the time or the money for it yet.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:05 PM

definately a meat and potatoes motor like an old SBC. Pretty refreshing.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:49 AM

Parts are on their way back, should be here this afternoon if he can get out of the shop today.

Needed a new crank
Recondition 2 rods that spun
Clean out ring groves on pistons
Bearing set (rod, main, cam)
Full Gasket Set
Timing set
Oil pump
Rings

Tomorrow I am going to hone the cylinders and install the cam bearings. Thenbegin assembling everything so i can hopefully start installing the motor Saturday afternoon when the shop closes and everyone gets out of my way. Should be up and running Saturday night and I'll hopefully remember the camera this time. This gives me about a week and a half of break in, which works out great because I drive about 300 miles per week.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:01 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you've got it all laid out! I'm looking forward to the pictures!!

Old 03-09-2008, 11:14 PM

Well, I didn't get a chance to do anything until Saturday afternoon. I spent most of the day pushing cars around the shop and getting all my parts in order.

I did flex hone the cylinders, flat stoned the deck and heads, tanked the block, installed the cam bearings, cam, balance shaft, crank, file fit the rings and installed on the pistons, pistons and rods into the engine, timing chain.

I took apart the intake mani and soaked the injection spiderlooking thing Friday night in STP fuel system cleaner (just the pintle sections) So I reassembled the everthing there and have it ready to go. Valve job didn't need to be done, so I just cleaned up the heads, lapped the valves, then put in the new seals.All I need to do is minor assembly work and I'm ready to drop in. Trans and transfer case are rebuilt and ready to go.

So far I have spent about 550 in parts, so I'm doing pretty good. Only thingI worry about is break in, but I can pile on the mileage before I go next weekend.

Old 03-10-2008, 06:53 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Very nice!! Pictures?? LOL

Old 03-10-2008, 06:56 AM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

Sounds like you made the right decision, like kyle said pics??? I wish I had the available time and a extra vehicle to tear mine out and do some motor work to it but a lass I don't as of yet!!

Old 03-10-2008, 10:51 PM
BF Veteran

Flex hone?
I have oh so many questions andyou might be the man to answer them. I started another thread labeled "Flex Hone" so i didn't clutter this one up with my dribble.I posted it in the Engine forum. Check it out and post up, everyone is welcome to toss in thier tips.

I digress.

How was the trip?

Quick Reply: New 97 4X4 4DR Jimmy, bad engine options