Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

New Engine, New Problems..

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 10:15 PM
bigkeith11 is on a distinguished road
Default New Engine, New Problems.. W/ Video

Ok, so I finally got my rebuilt engine in and and got my distributor set in the best i could. I got the rotor just about 10 degrees off which is probably way too far.. Anyways I tried it and im getting horrible back fire through the intake. I eventually got it to start after a few attempts and it ran ok, little rough but no misfires. I let it sit and got to work swapping my rear end. Got that done and started up the next day with the same symptoms but now the engine "kicked back" on the starter. I hit it again and it started but the gear on the starter kept spinning for a bit after disengaging, it disengaged and spun to a stop. Also I swapped gas tanks and had to wire in the new delphi harness. There were 4 wires: Purp-A, Gray-B, Black-C, Black-D. So I wired the new harness as: A-Purp, B-Gray, C-Black, Blk/Wht-D. And for some reason my gas gauge isnt reading at all. It did register for half a second when starting but thats it.

So i know for one, i need to try to get my timing better but i have no clue about the starter? Any idea? Also, do ya'll have any tips on getting the timing close to 0 so i can get my truck to the dealer for a crankcase relearn? And could the gas gauge be a problem with wiring or the instrument panel?

Last edited by bigkeith11; 09-11-2012 at 11:00 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:01 PM

Ok so after i made this video i though about what could be happening. The only things i can think of are: Fuel pump is wired wrong, I have a pretty bad vaccum leak, or possibly the W4M tune is making my truck act funny. What do yall think?

Old 09-16-2012, 10:49 AM

Ok I checked my fuel pressure and it was at 50 running. Changed the fuel filter and got it to 55. It still running the same, no power/acceleration at all. I know it should be between 60-66 but at 55 I would think it would be somewhat driveable? I really need your help, i'm leaving for Wyoming in 2 days

Old 09-16-2012, 11:15 AM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

55 is low,and can cause issues. Time for a pump Man. Dont buy anything but delco,id offer you some links for cheaper prices,but sounds like you gotta have it in today or tomorrow. Dealerships the place you gotta get it. Either that or gamble with it and get a junkyard pump and if it works,for at least the time your gone you can save up for a new ac delco replacement.

Old 09-16-2012, 01:57 PM

My pumps only 2 months old, its an airtex. I know these Blazers are finiky with anything other than oem parts but the engine was working great before the engine swap.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:12 AM

Figured it out. Stupid me had the 3 and 1 plug wires backwards... After i swapped them and fixed a vacuum leak in the brake booster connector it ran like a "scolded dog". But of course thats not the end of my problem... <-- This was Sunday night, I leave for wyoming weds at 5am. Parked it, came out the next morning (Monday) and the lights were super dim. I hooked up the battery connector and turned the key and my gauges went insane. Tried to crank and got clicking from the starter. Unhooked the battery cleaned the grounds and tried again, Same thing. Swapped batteries and it sorted out the gauges. Cranked it but no start. Never heard the fuel pump kick on. Tested the relay, its good. Tested the voltage and grounds and theyre spot on. Figured its the pump right?? Well i had a warranty on the pump so long story short 3 hours later and 2 different advance autos, i have my new pump. Threw it in and still the same problem. I know that the computer has to have a signal from the CKP sensor to allow the pump to run. Ive tried a new (2k miles) sensor and the original sensor and still fuel pump. Ive checked fuses, all good. I have lost my mind because now i gotta load this piece up on a uhaul trailer and drive it 1200 miles to Laramie WY and it doesnt run. We should get there Thursday late night and Friday is registration. I got the week in to move in and Monday is my first day. Im totally stumped on this. I also swapped Neutral safety switch, no luck. I deffinitly have spark but after cranking 4-5 times i check the scrader valve and there is no gas.. Please help, im at a total stand still. Only thing i can think of is getting in to the dealership in laramie and having them put in on a scanner, relearn the crankshaft sensor and maybe that will kick the pump on?