Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

New game - Name That Sound

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 05:06 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about
Question New game - Name That Sound

A little history & info. 2002 blazer LS, X, 4.3L. Engine has 21,000 miles or 33,600 km approx.
Pro Comp Ultra Pro Mangum roller rockers, Lunati 2nd stage torque cam & double springs, High Energy lifters & push rods, Wynjammer supercharger (the odd background noise that I'm not asking about).

It developed a "tick" of sorts a while back & then what seems to be overnight it sounded like this:
CB odd sound.AVI - YouTube

Of course I thought lifter/rocker noise but I was assured they were all set properly. That being said these Pro Comps do have locks on them & maybe one is coming loose.
But to me & a few others it doesn't seem to be consistent/rhythmic enough for a normal valve train noise. We also removed the serpentine belt so it's not an up front accessory.

After thought - it does have a new distributor & shaft as well that had the bearing on the way out.

So what's your vote for the source of that more than ticking sound now?

Last edited by Rottidog; 01-24-2012 at 05:46 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:11 PM
70-K5 is on a distinguished road

Thinking way outside the box... Could it be a torque converter bolt beating on a shroud down below? Hard to say with the video/audio.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:43 PM
Xenon is on a distinguished road

yeah, hard to say, but x2 on the possibility of a tc bolt... mine had a loose one when I got it and they make a wicked sound...

could even be a blown donut at the exhaust manifold from what I'm hearing...

Old 01-24-2012, 05:50 PM
BF Veteran

Didn't think of a converter bolt, thanks!
The trans was rebuilt & upgraded a year ago, just before this engine was swapped in. So it could be that but it really sounds more engine internal. I have heard what seems to be an exhaust leak & I'll get the shop I take it to to check it all over. They installed the custom bent single in dual out exhaust, did the engine swap, intake manifold & valve train swap as well so they know CB lol.

I took that crappy vid with a $10 "gum pack" spy cam off ebay. I'll bring my Nikon tomorrow to work & it takes HD videos so the sound should also be better.
The more I think of the torque converter bolt the more it sounds like it could be that. It wasn't loud at 1st & for a long time, then we had some -20C weather & like I said - "overnight" it seemed to get worse. Heat expands & really facking cold contracts so that's a possibility for sure. It also does seem to be coming more from the rear & lower. When people listen everyone seems to be drawn toward the rear of the engine & down low.

Last edited by Rottidog; 01-24-2012 at 05:56 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:56 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

ouch i dont think its a knock tho you idled the engine in the video and it did not pick up the pace

might be something easy to fix i hope

Old 01-24-2012, 05:58 PM
BF Veteran

I revved it up & it does going along for the ride so to speak, but it's hard to hear with the supercharger whining away & all the exhaust noise.
Hopefully a better vid tomorrow will... be better!

Old 01-24-2012, 11:41 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Now might not be the best time but.... I love that SC sound soooo much.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:28 AM
Starting Member
Longer02 is an unknown quantity at this point

Definitely sounds internal from what I could make out. I know you are aware, but that video blows. Get a better one and report back.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:41 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Yeah... that definitely sounds like something come loose, not engine internal.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:21 PM
BF Veteran

Sorry no vid update as I took it to the trans shop that rebuilt/upgraded the trans. They had it on the lift with me starting it/them checking it = end result they said the torque converter is fine & the flywheel, no loose bolts or cracks. They also said while under there they hear it coming from the engine side, not the trans side. So much for wishfull thinking lol because I know they would have fixed it within a day or 2 at no cost to me.
I've had too many things rebuilt by them & upgraded for them to F me around. Another shop in town that has a great rep - all word of mouth, also referred them.
So a bad word from myself (if it is the trans & they didn't want to own up to it) to the other shop & the 'garage referrals' (which mostly is about them helping eachother out with buisness) stop from the other shop or would be hindered.

So I'm going to have to take it in & ponder taking it apart, finding the issue & fixing it.
Finding a good 4.3 to swap my aftermarket goodies into & onto.
Or consider a 5.3 swap without the aftermarket chit I have.

Does anyone know or want to buy a lightly used wynjammer 6psi supercharger, marine intake, lunati cam & springs, comp ultra pro magnum rockers?... lmao

Quick Reply: New game - Name That Sound