Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

new here, 4WD blinking

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 09:35 AM
Starting Member
abadinalbany is an unknown quantity at this point
Default new here, 4WD blinking

Hi all-

New 2001 4dr LT owner here.

Can't switch into 4HI or 4LO, the light just blinks. Can't do it rolling, can't do it at a stop, in park, in neutral, rolling backward out of neutral ... going into/out of 4LO I think I hear it something moving or actuating, nothing into/out of 4HI ...

From googling, and searching these forums, it sounds like I need to check:

1 or 2 vac lines
a fuse?
a transcoder motor?

Anyone happen to have pics on the locations of these items? Is Chilton or Haynes decent for the Blazer?

Anything else I should be checking, or need to know? What's the worst case scenario here?

Old 10-28-2008, 03:30 PM
chevygulr84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: new here, 4WD blinking

The blinking light means there is a malfunction in your 4x4 system iteself. I would recommend trying to fix yourself - I'd take it to a shop pronto. Does it blink a certain number of times then stop and re-start or is it a steady blink.
Does the CE light illuminate? does the truck handle any differently?

Old 10-28-2008, 03:34 PM
Starting Member

ORIGINAL: chevygulr84

The blinking light means there is a malfunction in your 4x4 system iteself. I would recommend trying to fix yourself - I'd take it to a shop pronto. Does it blink a certain number of times then stop and re-start or is it a steady blink.
Does the CE light illuminate? does the truck handle any differently?
Just bought it, just got the keys yesterday afternoon, don't know if it drives any differently. The service engine soon light came on today.

So wait, you would recommend trying to fix it myself? But you'd take it to a shop?

Assuming you mean not recommend trying to fix it myself, of all of the three or four major problems that seem to cause issues here, they all sound like pretty tame fixes. I was the first owner to stick a turbo on the V6 Eclipses, I can handle vac lines, fuses, easily-accessed electronics modules ...

I heard the hub assemblies can set the lights blinking too, is that true? What about the transfer case? How big a job is the TC on these vehicles?

Also, where is the ODBII port for reading codes? I thought it was on the driver's side, but quick glance I don't see anything, at least not without removing a panel.

Old 10-28-2008, 03:58 PM
chevygulr84 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry, yes I did mean to take it to a shop rather than fixing it yourself but of course I don't know your mechanic capabilities - I just know the 4x4 system isn't easy to work with - ever.
as far as the Hub Assembly it's very possible that could cause the ligth to come on - as long as you have the ft/lb. torque for the shaft that comes directly from the steering knuckle through the hub, and if you don't a dealer most likely has them in the main computer just call and usually they'll give them to you.

As far as the Hub Assemblies go its a good possibility but I cannot say for sure. have you checked the wheel bearings as well? that would def. cause a malfunction in the sensors

My ODBII port is under the front dash - you so kind of have to dig to get to it which sux but once you find it it's fairly accessible (sp?)
(I have a 96 w/ 177,xxx)

Old 10-28-2008, 04:00 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You should be able to determine the cause yourself. There are numerous threads about 4wd troubles. It really depends on what you have for a system (auto4wd or not). Auto4wd makes diagnosis much more complicated (Tech2 or equivalent scan tool required to access the TCCM), but there are still a few functional checks that can be performed to see where the problem is. Post up with what you have and we can move forward from there.

About the OBD2 port, it is located under the dash on the driver side. It will be on the black plastic hush panel under the dash. Get the code and we can go from there.

Old 10-29-2008, 05:49 AM
Starting Member

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

You should be able to determine the cause yourself. There are numerous threads about 4wd troubles. It really depends on what you have for a system (auto4wd or not). Auto4wd makes diagnosis much more complicated (Tech2 or equivalent scan tool required to access the TCCM), but there are still a few functional checks that can be performed to see where the problem is. Post up with what you have and we can move forward from there.

About the OBD2 port, it is located under the dash on the driver side. It will be on the black plastic hush panel under the dash. Get the code and we can go from there.
Thanks.

Could you point me at a good tool on scantool.net by any chance? I'm going to buy a scan tool, but want to make sure I get something that's also compatible with my Mitsu.

Auto4WD as in, there's a big button that says Auto4WD next to the 2HI/4HI/4LO selector? Yeah, if that's the case, it's Auto4WD.

In the meantime, I'm going to hit Advance Auto today, once I figure out exactly where the port is, and hope that their cheapo scan tool does the trick.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:49 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

There are only a limited few "affordable" scan tools that can access the serial bus communication systems (ABS, TCCM, SRS, etc). Many are just generic OBD2 compliant which is what the autoparts stores use. I have an AutoEnginuity scanner, but even that is sometimes outside the budget most people have in mind. I purchased the AutoEnginuity scanner after I had an airbag light come on for a failed front impact sensor. $90 for the dealership to tell me what it was and I had enough of that. As far as compatibility with your Mitsu... You would have to check the individual manufacturers website.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:00 AM
Starting Member

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

There are only a limited few "affordable" scan tools that can access the serial bus communication systems (ABS, TCCM, SRS, etc). Many are just generic OBD2 compliant which is what the autoparts stores use. I have an AutoEnginuity scanner, but even that is sometimes outside the budget most people have in mind. I purchased the AutoEnginuity scanner after I had an airbag light come on for a failed front impact sensor. $90 for the dealership to tell me what it was and I had enough of that. As far as compatibility with your Mitsu... You would have to check the individual manufacturers website.
Do all versions of the AutoEnginuity products support those protocols? I have a Windows Mobile 6.1 phone I'd love to run this on, but I can go with the laptop version if necessary.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:52 AM
Administrator

I would have to refer to the AutoEnginuity website or maybe an email to their tech support (which I have always found to be excellent). The support of the subsystems come with the addition of the manufacturer specific packages. I have the GM package for my scantool.

If you were to get the PDA scan tool (ST02 - $249.95), Enhanced GM Expansion without CAN-D (EI02-1 - $149.95), and the Enhanced Mistubishi Expansion (EI15 - $229.95), you would be able to do pretty much whatever you want (provided you had the factory service manuals to know what you needed to do as far as diagnostics and troubleshooting) for $629.85.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:22 AM
Starting Member

What is w/ and w/o CAN-D? I have a vague idea what CAN is ... what CAN bus is on the Blazer? Why do I want the package without CAN-D?

Quick Reply: new here, 4WD blinking