Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Newb with a 98 blazer

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010 | 03:17 PM
|
Beginning Member
rockislife04 is on a distinguished road
Default Newb with a 98 blazer

hey yall i just got a 98 blazer 4x4 with 140k from a friend of fmaily for free. drove it home last night and noticed a few problems. First the battery drains and wanted to know if there is a generic wiring/computer problem with these suv's. And secondly when i am driving either from stop to accelerate or just when driving i cant push pedal to floor or it bogs out like crazy. I have to put pedal at like at quarter of the way to floor for it to run decent. If anyone has had these problems please let me know what to do. I plan on borrowing a odb II reader and finding out if there is any comp problems but until then i need to basic knowledge.

ty mike

Old 01-27-2010 | 03:24 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If the check engine light is on, the first order of business would be to get the codes read and let us know what they are. That very well could point you to the source of your performance issue.

As far as the battery drain goes, there is not one specific thing that causes this. You really need to isolate the circuit that is causing the drain. There are a few threads discussing this so a search for "battery+drain" should turn up some useful reading.

Old 01-27-2010 | 03:53 PM
|
Beginning Member

am i able to do the key on key off method to get codes with year? and also the bogging sound like backfiring when i am pushing the pedal to floor if htat helps any.

Old 01-27-2010 | 04:28 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You must use a code reader.

Old 01-27-2010 | 08:36 PM
|
Beginning Member

arre there any codes i should like pray that i dont have or ones that i want so it is a easy fix?

Last edited by rockislife04; 01-27-2010 at 08:42 PM.
Old 01-28-2010 | 05:40 PM
|
Beginning Member

got an update i got a code reading today and there are no trouble codes.....i havnt started on the electrical yet but im super stumped on the engine. i was told to change fuel filter, air filter,clean maf sensor, check pcv valve. any help please!

Old 01-28-2010 | 05:43 PM
Administrator

If your check engine light was on, there are codes stored and the person who read the codes didn't know how to use the scan tool. But if the battery drains down to nothing, the PCM would be reset. You should have it scanned while the truck is running.

Old 01-28-2010 | 05:47 PM
papacope is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd clean out your TB and plentum if I were you with that many miles on it, it's sure to be pretty nasty in there. I had a minimum of .25" of crud on mine and it runs better and doesn't bog down like it did before the clean. My bogging out wasn't as bad as your s sounds though. I also had my battery draining really bad right after I installed all my aux lights. Changed the battery and haven't had the problem since.

Old 01-28-2010 | 09:10 PM
Beginning Member
spkremer is on a distinguished road

I actually got a 98 4x4 blazer recently with a few problems as well. Battery was draining within a few hours and it hardly ran. The battery problem ended up being the fuel system remaining on, after the ignition was off. The VCM was causing the fuel control relay to stay on, so I just rewired the relay to a switched battery positive. So, the moral of the story is something is remaining on and draining the battery. Or, its not being charged while the vehicle is running.
First, with the vehicle running, check to see if you have at least 14.0 volts DC at the battery terminals.(if not, alternator or battery cable problem)
Then, with the vehicle completely off, snoop around and see if you hear anything running or see any lights on.
You can also place a current meter between the battery terminal and battery lead to measure any draw, there should be little to none.
If you find a current draw but can't find where the hell its coming from, start pulling fuses and relays one by one till the draw goes away.

As far as the drive-ability of the vehicle goes, the 4.3l is a dirty engine and gets a good deal of carbon buildup. CLEAN, the throttle body plate, pcv, IAC motor, EGR, you can also run some seafoam, or GM top engine cleaner thru it. replace the fuel filter, check the plugs and wires, air filter, check for rotted vacuum lines, check your fuel pressure( should be around 60 psi).
And of course change your oil, especially if you use the seafoam or top engine cleaner.
If I think of anything else I'll post again.
Good Luck

Old 01-30-2010 | 03:44 PM
|
Beginning Member

ok well i got an update on the electical. we were pulling fuses and using a test light and found that when we pull the int bat fuse the light went dim. so we investigated inside and tryed the fuse panel there and found that when we took out the rdo batt fuse it turned the light form bright to almost out then to half way after 5 seconds( you can hear a click of some type or relay) if anyone knows what this might be help help help!

thanks again

Last edited by rockislife04; 02-01-2010 at 09:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Newb with a 98 blazer