Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

No reverse!!! Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 04:22 PM
bobditts is an unknown quantity at this point
Default No reverse!!! Help!!!

Im really beginning to dispise this stupid blazer. Yeah it was free, but its a damn money pit! Just when I thought everything was working great, all of a sudden it wont shift into reverse.

I drove the blazer to work this morning without a problem. After work, I go to reverse out of the parking spot and the tranny wont shift. I can move the column shifter to the reverse "gear"..... and thats it. Nuetral works, drive works, 4x4 works. WTF??? I even crawled under the truck to manually shift the tranny where the column shifter attatches to the link system on the tranny and moved that and still nothing.

I highly doubt this is directly related to my 2" body lift I just installed, but I could be wrong. Is anyone familiar with how the reverse works? Are there any electronic components or is it all in the tranny? Where should I start???

If it helps at all, since I did the body lift, it would take a few seconds for the reverse to actually engage after shifting. I would say a solid 3 full seconds.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Old 03-19-2009, 05:42 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Vehicle info?

Old 03-19-2009, 06:03 PM

sorry. I figured you guys would have memorized it by now lol.

1986 s10 blazer
2.8L
2" body lift
I believe its the original tranny. definitely not original motor.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:25 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Do all of the forward gears work?

If so, this could be a failure in the low-reverse roller clutch in the back of the trans. This clutch is supposed to free wheel when in a forward gear and lock up when in reverse. The thing that sucks is that you have to tear down the entire transmission to check it.

And sorry. With the number of people I respond to every day, it becomes a blur as far as remembering what everyone has.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:30 PM

understandable about the blurrs. I used to be a mod on a forum and I never payed attention to who was posting what unless they were a problem.

Is there any other possible explination for the loss of reverse? I drather not tear it down if I dont have to... especialyl since I have no idea what Id be looking for lol.

also, is it at all possible this is because of the body lift?

Old 03-19-2009, 07:34 PM
Administrator

I doubt that the lift did anything unless it tweaked the linkage. Have you tried to adjust the shifter?

I read just about every post on this forum, but it typically is to make sure the content is appropriate for the given thread. I do not necessarily read what each and every person is driving unless they are the one having the problem.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:04 PM

I had to adjust the linkage/shifter after the body lift. The book said to find neutral with the linkage and then neutral with the shifter and tighten everything back up. It worked for a few days and today it just stopped working. When shifting into reverse, its acting as a second neutral. You can rev the engine, but nothing happens.

Could it be something as stupid as topping off my fluids? Im 95% sure the tranny fluid level is fine, but could that actually be a possible scenario?

Old 03-20-2009, 06:59 AM
Administrator

It would not hurt to check the fluid level, but that typically causes problems in all gears, not just reverse.

Here is the symptom related problem areas for No-Reverse:

Old 03-20-2009, 11:55 AM

csnt see the pic at work but I will check it out when I get home. Thanks in advance!

Are there any electrical connections on the 700R4 tranny that might have been affected by my body lift?

Old 03-20-2009, 08:16 PM
Administrator

None that affect shifting. It is all mechanical.

Quick Reply: No reverse!!! Help!!!