Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Not sure whats wrong

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 11:58 AM
GaBear is on a distinguished road
Default Not sure whats wrong

I went on a rather lengthly trip a few weeks ago. The next day when I drove to work every time I got to 45-50 MPH the engine would fluxuate between 2300 and 2600 RPM.

Thursday this week when making a trip to my Dads when I got in the Expressway it seemed like the transmission was slipping and struggling to get up to speed 70MPH. RPMs got close to 3600RPM but settled down to 2800 when it finally reached Hyw speed.

Blazer Specs

2001 Blazer ZR2 Automatic 4.3 Engine
178,000 Miles
Trans Fluid and filter changed 1 1/2 year ago @ 163,000 Miles.

Any Help would be appreciated.

Old 04-09-2018, 06:01 AM
Transman304 is on a distinguished road

Ck fluid level and condition. Is it red does it smell? Check engine light on? From what you describe that is the typical 3-4 clutch failure happening. More than likely time for rebuild or replacement.

Old 04-10-2018, 08:40 AM

Fluid Level is fine. Does not smell burned. Color is slightly brown. No SES Light and No Codes.

Is there anything I can do to get me by for about 6 Months. Some one told me to drain the fluid and go ahead and change the shifter solinoids and Filter and fill with fresh fluid.

Old 04-10-2018, 10:49 AM

If I had a crystal ball man I wouldn’t be in the transmission biz! What I can tell you is that if you choose to change out the fluid you definitely will speed up the meltdown. Good luck. Let us know how it works out.

Old 04-13-2018, 05:27 PM
Starting Member
2004 Blazer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Transman304
From what you describe that is the typical 3-4 clutch failure happening. More than likely time for rebuild or replacement.
I agree. How many miles ?

Old 04-14-2018, 07:19 AM

178000 miles on it right now. I guess it's a good thing I have another truck to drive for a while. I know this is going to sound bad but I will be trading the Blazer in the next 6 months that's the reason I don't want to do any major repairs to it right now. Not that I'm gonna get a big chunk in trade for it anyway.

Old 05-30-2018, 07:43 PM

Update: Ive been letting the Blazer set for a few weeks. Decided to take it on a quick run into town. Trans pulls great in 1st gear and shifts smoothly into 2nd. Thats when things go wrong. There is a huge lull when shifting into 3rd and it struggles to shift into 4th under normal acceleration. I can play with the gas and it will shift into 4th but the RPMs fluctuate at the higher speeds.

TransMan- I know you said changing the Fluid and filter will increase the imploding of the trans. Is there anything That can be done to patch the trans other than spending $1400 for a rebuild?

Old 05-31-2018, 05:16 AM

Sorry,no magic fix. If you continue to drive it it will damage more parts and will leave you setting along the road waiting for a tow. On a side note if that price you quoted is from a reputable shop I would not hesitate on that. I know it’s hard not to price shop for transmissions but you have to remember you get what you pay for. Do your research on shops and make your decision based on feedback and reviews. If the vehicle is in otherwise good shape and you like it then that money would be well spent. Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Old 05-31-2018, 08:33 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Transman304
Sorry,no magic fix. If you continue to drive it it will damage more parts and will leave you setting along the road waiting for a tow. On a side note if that price you quoted is from a reputable shop I would not hesitate on that. I know it’s hard not to price shop for transmissions but you have to remember you get what you pay for. Do your research on shops and make your decision based on feedback and reviews. If the vehicle is in otherwise good shape and you like it then that money would be well spent. Good luck and let us know how it works out.
Yeah, that's a full $1000 less than what I paid for a trans rebuild on my 2001 4x4 Blazer.

Old 05-31-2018, 08:55 AM

Yeah,my carry in bench jobs start a $1900. Installs and fluids run another $500-600 in this area. I will say this if you get a “Reman Transmission “ of eBay or the likes be very careful.
Over the years I have repaired countless transmissions that were rebuilt. The customers get tired of taking out and shipping it back once,maybe twice. Then they call a local shop to get it done. BE SURE TO FLUSH THE COOLER LINES AND COOLER!! If you do the job or make sure it gets flushed if someone else does it. An auxiliary plate type cooler and by pass the radiator is also a good option.

Quick Reply: Not sure whats wrong