Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

odd rpm's?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 12:39 AM
mikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud of
Default odd rpm's?

ok so this problem started a couple months ago and it only occurs on the highway going about 70-75mph and lasts usually only a couple mins. when driving at 70 my rpm's are almost dead center on 2000rpm, but every now and then while keeping a constant pressure on the gas the rpm's shoot up to around 2500-2700rpm's and lasts for maybe 5 mins at the most then go back to the norm 2000rpm. its done this with my foot on the gas and also when in cruise and while driving on a flat highway with little wind outside(not any ridiculus headwinds or strong wind gusts) the last long trip i took(270+mi one way) this problem kicked up twice on the way down and once on the way back.

Old 03-22-2009, 03:49 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds exactly like the torque converter unlocked. It is just very odd that it would stay unlocked for 5 minutes... It could be that you were just at the right throttle angle to be in between whether the TCC should be unlocked or locked...

Old 03-22-2009, 03:51 PM
mikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud of

so is this something to worry about or just an annoying occurance?

Old 03-22-2009, 03:54 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

Are you sure you weren't accidently touching the brake pedal? Activating the brake light circuit will unlock the converter.

Old 03-22-2009, 03:59 PM

unless i hit the brake pedal without knowing, but i really done think i did and when im in cruise i have the heels of my feet close to the seat so there would be no way of hitting the brake that way.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:16 PM

so does this mean theres something wrong with the tranny?? or is it just an annoying quirk??

Old 03-22-2009, 07:52 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I cannot find anything that resembles this problem in my references... I would monitor it and see if it gets worse.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:57 PM

alright ill keep an eye on it as of now it doesntseem to cause any problems (power loss etc.) but ill update if/when there is a change. thanks for the time and input guys.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:08 PM
Administrator

One more question, can you get it to lock up again if you speed up, then settle back down to your previous speed again?

Old 03-22-2009, 08:53 PM

yea if i speed up to about 75-80mph then go back to 70 the rpm's go back to the norm 2000.

Quick Reply: odd rpm's?