Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odd Transmission Issues

Old 05-17-2019, 08:23 AM
Beginning Member
Thuwaldt is on a distinguished road
Default Odd Transmission Issues

Hello all! I'm trying to decide if there's a problem with my transmission or not. I swapped in the transmission several years ago, and it has a few oddities going on.

- I feel like the stall is a bit too long taking off from a stop. Sometimes I rev for a moment before the truck starts to move
- The truck has over 210,000 miles, so any number of issues can be at play, but my fuel economy is pretty poor (a little below 13mpg in the city)
- going into reverse seems to "thud" into reverse a little harder than I'd like
- I feel a slight vibration when reversing, especially at lower RPMs (i.e. after engine warm up)
- 2nd gear range selection doesn't work, but 1st gear does. In D/OD, tranny shifts through all gears smoothly.

Now, when I swapped the transmission, I filled the transmission with fluid to the point at which the dip stick read accurately cold. The truck would not move. So I slowly added fluid until the truck was driving "properly". I've been driving with this amount of fluid for about 5 years now, in extreme heat, pulling a trailer, highway driving, etc. The weird thing is that the dipstick shows over full all the time, whether hot or cold. Yesterday, I checked fluid per the manual (drive for 15 miles, park, cycle through gears, etc.)

The reason I bring this up is that I feel like my issue could be resolved if I added some tranny fluid, but I do not think I'm getting an accurate reading on the dipstick. I don't know what truck the 4L60E came from that I installed, so maybe I have the wrong dipstick? Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Old 05-19-2019, 03:12 PM
Randy Jones is on a distinguished road

6 quarts full capacity to fill a empty reman tranny & torque converter.. had that done 3 weeks ago. The 4x4 transfer case was a Bear getting out & in. sorta dislike the torsion bars .. lolo mine popped the sun shell when doing a back up to turn around at end of drive way.. so opted for a ready to use reman. now working on dang fuel pump .. btw hope you been changing the filter & fluid during that 5 years ??