Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

oil

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 01:57 PM
tammikm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default oil

how many of you run synthetic oil in your blazer? I run regular GM oil in my blazer, its a 2001 4x4, the thing is my oil pressure gauge usually runs about 1/2 way on the gauge, but at idle it drops to the 1/4 mark, then picks up again once the truck is moving. Is this cause for concern? I was told its a sign of a weak motor, but I've had this truck for 2 years and it has done it from day 1, I was told that synthetic oil would help this and prolong the life of the engine, what do you guys think?

thanks

Old 01-08-2007, 02:32 PM
alamantia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: oil

what low oil pressure has to do with a weak motor is beyond even me. You are probably running 5w 30, it sounds like the oil pressure is just fine. If you want to increase oil pressure you can always go up to 10w 30 but i wouldnt reccomend much more than that. I may be wrong but I was always under the impression that conventional oil is of a thicker viscosity than synthetic, thus you will probably have higer pressure with convensional oil yet the shear point of oil is much higer in synthetic resulting in less wear on metal to metal parts in the long run. To understand more about oil properties google automotive oil properties or aotomotive oil weights or even automotive oil shear points, you should obtain some good info

Old 01-08-2007, 03:39 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Viscosity is viscosity, no matter whether the oil is synthetic or conventional. There are tolerances to any viscosity measurement so if it says that it is a 5w30, the ISO standard for viscosity measurement could allow for it to be slightly higher or lower. Some oils are higher, some are lower. If it has a rating of 5w30, it is within the tolerance ISO defines. How close to the rating point depends on the manufacturer of the oil.

I run synthetic because it does not have the impurities that conventional has. Because of this, it has a higher tolerance to heat and doesn't degrade as fast. Should you use it, well that is up to you. Do you have to use it, no. If you follow the 3k mile oil changes, then using synthetic oil is just a waste of your money. Much more important is to use a quality filter.

Old 01-08-2007, 06:14 PM
Dabber is an unknown quantity at this point

I've had my 05 since new and my oil gauge does the exact same thing. I hooked upa manual Gauge to it and the pressure isright on the money so I hooked the factory one back up and just watch as normal.

Old 01-08-2007, 06:22 PM
a_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud of

yeah... theres no problem.... every blazer ive been in does the same thing.... just like the ungodly gas gague fluctuation when in park and neutral...lol

Old 01-08-2007, 08:16 PM
AutomagicLS1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah when im sitting at a light or just in park with it running the oil pressure does get pretty low around the 1/4 mark which is normal. Nothing to worry about when when moving its always high.

Old 01-09-2007, 03:13 PM
tammikm is an unknown quantity at this point

Great to hear!! Thanks a lot!!

Old 11-18-2007, 10:52 AM
quinnman105 is an unknown quantity at this point

I use Quakerstate 4x4 synthetic oil inmy blazer along with a Fram Oil Filter. no problems with my 2001 blazer. I have over 126,740 miles on it. I bought it with 32,391 on it

Old 11-18-2007, 09:52 PM
ltown21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine stays around half-way when idling and I always thought that was normal?

Old 11-19-2007, 07:11 AM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

mine sometimes drops and pops the check gauges light but I don't have knocking or pinging and no out of the ordinary sounds!! I talked to a few people at the chevy dealership and they said that it is one of the most common problems like the fuel problem. oil pressure sensor is 20 bucks for the part, they told me just to change it. It started when my intake manifold gaskets blew out and over filled the crankcase which can cause the sensor to go bad.When I change mine I will let ya'll know if it fixes the fluxuation at all!!

Quick Reply: oil