Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

oil which is best?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 01:53 AM
Taymacjack is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: oil which is best?

ORIGINAL: gohan69

What about royal purple do you really get horsepower from them?
Royal purple! That stuff is awesome... No, it wont really increase your horsepower, but i dont know if there is any better oil out there at protecting your engine and preventing wear.

Old 09-02-2007, 08:45 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: Taymacjack

Royal purple! That stuff is awesome... No, it wont really increase your horsepower, but i dont know if there is any better oil out there at protecting your engine and preventing wear.
And that is based off of what exactly?

One thing that will keep me from ever using Royal Purple is the complete lack of independant testing available. Seems that whenever anyone does an unbiased test with it, the results never make it to the web. Everything is a 'sponsored' independant test... Seems shady to me.

Old 09-02-2007, 01:53 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed about RP, and the samefor Amsoil. Now both of these brands may be very good oils (in fact some used oil anlaysis I've seen point to that), but their promotion and marketing methods leave a lot to be desired by me. If I don't feel comfortable with a product, I won't use it no matter how good it might be.

Old 09-02-2007, 02:44 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

Awhile back, in a car magazine (so we know the review was biased to begin with, lol) they clamed running all RP fluids in a Viper, gave it an extra 2 HP or something like that, at the wheels...

That being said, as far as I'm concerned without seeing independant non-sponsored tests, it's overpriced market hype, lol.

I ran Amsoil in mine for one oil change, I can't comment on how it looked when it came out, as I'd dunked my truck in a river... However, it DID idle and run a LOT smoother than whatever oil the dealership put in when I bought the thing.

My Mobil 1 change isn't doing so well, but that's mostly due to the plugs that need changing, lol, and I'm sure there's some issues with the whole river thing... Anyway... It still runs great-ish, and once I get the plugs changed, should be good to go...

I used Mobil 1 in my old Lumina Z34, and NEVER had an issue, and I beat the ever loving snot out of that car... it saw redline at least once every time the car was started, it hauled a quad, towed cars and trucks out of ditches, snowbanks, survived hard-core off-roading, and in winter, in parking lots, was the main vehicle for Canadian Water Skiing... And still ran like a champ!

So my choice is Mobil 1, but most name brand synthetics these days probably perform pretty close...

Old 09-03-2007, 02:22 AM

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

And that is based off of what exactly?

One thing that will keep me from ever using Royal Purple is the complete lack of independant testing available. Seems that whenever anyone does an unbiased test with it, the results never make it to the web. Everything is a 'sponsored' independant test... Seems shady to me.
http://www.royalpurple.com/techrp/summary.html

I'm not going to argue with you about biases and sponsered tests, because its almost impossible to prove anything either way. Its not like i could prove anything to you anyways....

But i have noticed a much smoother idle which i must admit, wasn't expecting. But i did see RP used on the bearing test which was pretty covincing to me. I use to use castrol conventional by the way...

Old 09-03-2007, 03:25 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.royalpurple.com/techrp/summary.html

I'm not going to argue with you about biases and sponsered tests, because its almost impossible to prove anything either way. Its not like i could prove anything to you anyways....
Who's arguing? And what is the last sentance above supposed to mean anyway?

Old 09-03-2007, 08:01 PM
a_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud of

I run plain oll' Penzoil 5w-30 in all of my vehicles.... was gonna run royal purple, but dad talked me out of it... He works in an oil refinery and they used to run royal purple in all of their equipment until it began prematurely breaking down and causing hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of equipment to stop working... however that was in machinery, not a blazer... I just didn't feel like taking my chances...

Old 09-03-2007, 10:50 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

[/quote] I'm not going to argue with you about biases and sponsered tests, because its almost impossible to prove anything either way. Its not like i could prove anything to you anyways....

But i have noticed a much smoother idle which i must admit, wasn't expecting. But i did see RP used on the bearing test which was pretty covincing to me. I use to use castrol conventional by the way...[/quote]
Taymacjack, unlax.I don't thinkanybody here is trying to get on your case about your oil choice. It's quite possible that your idle smoothness can be attributed to your motor oil, but as far as whether RP is doing good or bad inside your engine, a used used oil analysis and only a UOA can tell you that. Without that information, saying that an oil's performance is good or bad is just talking through your hat.
As far as the 'bearing test' goes there is plenty of information available on the internet to show that it is just not applicable to the actual wear and tear that happens insidea car's engine. It looks realimpressive when you watch it, but the dynamics of an engine are just too differnent to the static test to be relevent.
And, yes, it is possible to 'prove anything either way'. Biashas nothing to do with my choice of oil.

Old 09-04-2007, 12:28 AM

Like i said, im not going to be able to prove anything. Sorry swartlkk, i didnt mean to make that sound like a personal attack. All opinions are biased, whether we admit it or not. We choose to either accept or deny information, whether it is true or not. Even if an experiment is sponsered, that does not automatically make the information biased or invalid, or even the result untrue. The same goes for a truly independent experiment, just because it is independent does not make it true. Rridle3, that is why i say its impossible to prove anything either way, because there will always be information to refute any stance taken. You cant possibly tell me that you did an uoa for every brand of oil, and didntaccept anyones opinion when you chose which brand of oil you were goin to use. Saying that you can prove anything is ambiguous, because both sides cant be true. Thats why i say you cant prove anything either way (most of the time), because there will always be other info to contradict anyones opinion.

Old 09-04-2007, 06:19 AM
Administrator

#1 reason why I don't like the results listed on any of the RP tests I have seen is because they make statements like, "Replaced existing motor oil with Royal Purple 5W30 motor oil." or "Used oil analysis was used to determine the amount of wear metals produced in a dirt track Sprint car before and after switching to Royal Purple Motor Oil."

The first statement has zero information in it. No indication given that the oil that was in theree was even new on the 'before' test.

The second statement is just rediculous if you understand UOA and how an engine breaks in. The first UOA with the mystery oil could have been the 1st oil change in this motor. Any subsequent oil change will have less wear metals automatically.

Also, when you understand the accuracy of pretty much all chassis dyno's, you would see that the 'results' they publish are within the tolerance of the dyno itself.

Quick Reply: oil which is best?