Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

oil cooler line help needed please

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 02:17 PM
Starting Member
hotrod413 is on a distinguished road
Default oil cooler line help needed please

Truck is a 1993 2WD 4.3 w vin

I was coming up 395 through bishop, when under the hood started to smoke. It was around 11PM, and im around 400 miles from home. I popped the hood, and there is oil everywhere. I couldnt find the leak. I usually carry 2 quarts of oil with me just incase. I top off the level, and finish my trip to reno. I get to my dads house around 2:00 AM. I wake up the next morning (today) and notice a GIANT oil spot under my front drivers side area. I still cant find the source, because there is oil EVERYWHERE. I believe it is coming from the engine oil cooler lines. I drive to 3 Pick a parts in this area, and this is what Ive come up with....Im missing something from my system. In the J/Y's there is an oil filter holder that the lines run from and go into the radiator. My truck just has the lines coming from the engine and go straight into the radiator, no filter device. I have what looks like a filter on the driversside bottom of the engine....I have no clue what I need, what Im missing, or what not. I called around and NOONE had any available. Rockauto only has the hose for the one with the filter WTF!!!! Is mine a black sheep?

sorry bout the rant. 800 miles of nonstop driving.......4 hours of off/on sleep....NO COFFEE

Old 07-28-2009, 08:37 PM
Leeann_Bravada is an unknown quantity at this point

I think that's normal for the 2WD (the filter by the oil pan, not up in the fender). I'm guessing all the trucks you looked at in the junkyard were 4WD?

Old 07-28-2009, 09:04 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Leeann_Bravada
I think that's normal for the 2WD (the filter by the oil pan, not up in the fender). I'm guessing all the trucks you looked at in the junkyard were 4WD?
I didnt even look to see if they were 2WD or 4WD, but that does make sense

Old 07-28-2009, 09:10 PM

I have no idea 'cause I've never looked at a 2WD, but I know the remote filter was only installed on 4WD trucks (and AWD Bravadas).

Old 07-29-2009, 08:01 AM
cage47 is on a distinguished road

Yep. I had my 98 it was 2wd. The oil filter is on the driver side where the oil cooler lines meet the engine. There isn't room in the 4x4 so they put the oil filter up front on that bracket that mounts under the radiator. But get some enginebrite and clean off the lines. You'll probably see them leaking (bad by your description) where the flexible part meets the aluminum crimps.

Old 07-31-2009, 01:19 PM
Starting Member

such an easy fix i feel stupid......I pulled off the top line at the radiator, and teflon taped it, and no more leak.....now to trace the other small drips I have else where......

Old 07-31-2009, 03:17 PM

With that much oil around, no reason to feel stupid. Glad you got it fixed!

Old 07-31-2009, 03:50 PM
cage47 is on a distinguished road

Be careful. That might not be enough to fix it. I've read on these a bit and dealt with them with my 98. These are not the easiest to fix yourself. Sometimes taking the line and cutting off the aluminum crimp section and using a hose clamp can fix it. But just teflon taping might not be enough. These lines get very hot and that tape might melt or corrode. Don't get frustrated. They can be fixed but it takes some work. Otherwise they will separate again and you'll end up loosing your oil and cleaning your engine again.

Old 07-31-2009, 03:59 PM

I think he's saying it's the seal from the line to the radiator, not the crimp from metal to rubber on the line itself.

Old 08-01-2009, 12:35 AM
Starting Member

I think mine is different then everyone elses. Mine has a brass fitting/adapter that screws into the radiator, then the line runs into the adaptor. Those are what I taped. When I started to unscrew it, it was already really loose. I could have just tightened it up, but the tape is extra insurance against it loosening up again. I have always teflon taped the connections when I add temp and oil pressure guages, and never had any problems. if it starts leaking, ill take the tape out, but I think it should last........thanks for all of your guys' help. I thought I would have to replace both of the lines completely

Quick Reply: oil cooler line help needed please