Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Transmission (https://blazerforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-35/)
-   -   oil cooler lines (https://blazerforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-35/oil-cooler-lines-66346/)

itsmejonnyb 12-26-2011 10:53 PM

oil cooler lines

-sorry for the book i wrote-

(SHORT VERSION any advice on changing oil cooler lines?)

so friday night after work i started replacing my oil cooler lines which have been leaking for a very long time now. the first one i replaced where the lines from the filter housing to the radiator. then i began trying to replace the lines from the filter to the oil pan here is where my problems began... long story short my supposedly "Quick Fix" turned into horror as i was up until 4 AM and my blazer is still apart in my driveway. my questions are what size head is the bolt on the side of the hoses that go into the oil panand mybe a few tips to help easily get to it. i tried everything and i still failed i tried jacking up the oil pan like i've read for more clearance but it didnt budge. also how do you know when you have the clips in right for the hoses going into the oil cooler/radiator. after my failed attempt of removing the hose from the fiter to the pan i decided i would leave it alone for now because it was 3:30 and i had to wake up at 6 the next day for work. i checked the clips 3 or 4 times to make sure they where on right and from what i can tell they where fine but after i put in new oil and ran the engine for a sec the lower hose popped off and oil went every where it came of as i turned the enginge off and there was no harm done but i would like to now a for sure way of telling so i dont do agian today is my friday so i will be working on it tomoro any help would be appreciated thanks

swartlkk 12-27-2011 09:30 AM

Should be a 10mm socket for the nut/bolt that fastens the lines to the remote oil filter adapter on the block. A shallow socket on a wobble extension with another extension (total of ~14-18 inches of extensions) should get you there.

Which hose popped off? The lower one that runs into the cooler inside the radiator? If that is the case, the clips may be bent.

itsmejonnyb 12-27-2011 11:47 AM

thanks swartlkk.i will try that later. yes it was the lower hose i got it back on but im not sure if i trust the clip or not when i go to the parts store in a little bit to get more oil i will try and find a new one. a friend of mine from work also offered me a garage to work on it in if i cant get it fixed hes dad owns a shop and said it would be fine to bring it there and use there stuff so if i cant get it today hopefully ill be able to soon. i didn't realize simple oil lines could be so difficult lol

swartlkk 12-27-2011 11:52 AM

With the quick connect fittings into the radiator, you have to make sure that there is NO tension on the lines once installed. With aftermarket lines, any tension on the lines can cause a leak or, worse, the line to blow off. If the lines don't line up perfectly, some adjustment is necessary (bend/twist/etc).

Also, take the clips & lay them on a flat surface. If you see any gap between the clip & the surface, either try to flatten the clip, or buy a new clip.

itsmejonnyb 12-27-2011 08:03 PM

thanks agian swartlkk. i got the bolt off of the oil line going into the oil pan but there isnt enough room for the oil line to pull out. The fitting on the end keeps getting caught up between the transfercase and the engine. i was thinking unbolting the motor mount on the drivers side and seeing if i could lift the engine up enough to eaisly pull out the old oil line and install the new one. how do you guys do it?

swartlkk 12-27-2011 08:09 PM

That would be the front axle & the oil pan. :icon_wink:

The engine mounts can sag over time and decrease the clearance. Try placing a good 2x4 or 2x6 on the top of your jack and lift the engine up off the mounts slightly until you get enough clearance. If that doesn't allow enough clearance, then unbolting the mount would be the next thing to do. That should definitely allow for sufficient clearance.

itsmejonnyb 12-27-2011 08:15 PM

i tried jacking it up wtih 2x4 under the oil pan but there was no play in the motor mount so tomoro i guess i will have to take the motor mount out thanks agian swartlkk i appreciate all your help. yes lol i guess the front axle i stoped working on it a few hours ago and was couldnt remember if it was or not

itsmejonnyb 12-29-2011 10:44 PM

just wondering what the part is that the back oil lines go into i changed the lines but still have a drip and think that it is the seal for whatever the oil lines bolt into

swartlkk 12-30-2011 08:44 AM

It's an adapter block that bolts to the block where the oil filter typically would be if there were room for it. There is a seal on the top of it. It can be a pain to get to.

itsmejonnyb 12-30-2011 07:38 PM

yeah it looks like it and I discovered a new problem while swapping the lines it looks like I have a leak coming from my water pump and my alternator:/ the problems never seem to end with his blazer