Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Oil Filters - Buyer Be Aware

Old 05-11-2006, 05:27 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Oil Filters - Buyer Be Aware

Ok so the topic of oil filters has come up in another post, but it isn't directly related to the topic in that post. So here's the place to discuss it.

My opinion of Fram oil filters is that they are one of the worst filters available. Now this does not include their new X2 line as I have never used them, but have heard some good things about them. My experiences with Fram filters have been with both the Double Guard and their regular line of filters. For use in my Chevelle, I had 2 cases litterally fall off of the filter on initial startup. The filters were filled to the brim with oil and were not over tightened. Two filters in a row failed in this manner. The oil change prior to this failed attempt with Fram had a faulty bypas valve which resulted in unfiltered oil and a fluttering noise which was audible and was traced back to the filter.

You want more to read through. See these reviews and disections of the filters:
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html
http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/filters.shtml

Both are a bit old and the construction may have changed, but when other higher quality and equally priced filters are available, I won't ever go back to using them. Especially with the reports of Fram failures on other boards.

Filters that I would recommend are Purolator Premium Plus, Purolator PureOne, Wix, Napa Gold, Mobil 1, and AC Delco to name a few. Fram would be at the bottom of an already long list along with Bosch oil filters.

Anyone have another side to this story? Some rays of sunshine posted on the net that can be linked to? Please post up with your experiences. I have a feeling this is going to get ugly...

Old 05-11-2006, 05:57 PM
blazin97 is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Oil Filters - Buyer Be Aware

I've use Fram on every oil change and not one prob. My dad has used them for ever and never any problems.
Thant's just my 2 cents.

Old 05-11-2006, 06:29 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

And that is fine, but if you were to get one of their mistakes, you could have serious problems. My family used to use Fram filters as well until my experiences with my car in HS. I'm just lucky that all of my problems were noticed right away in the shop and could be quickly corrected before any damage was caused. Some may say that I just got a bad batch of filters... Well, if you experienced a bad oil filter, would you continue to purchase them?

The defacto source for pretty much anything oil related is BobIsTheOilGuy.com and Their Forums. You'll be hard pressed to find a good review of a Fram filter there.

Old 05-11-2006, 06:46 PM
Retired Super Moderator
Dory is a jewel in the roughDory is a jewel in the roughDory is a jewel in the rough

Hmm... well i've used Fram but not consistantly. Usually I'll go for the AC Delco one first. I've not heard anyone complain about them and theres a lot of mixed feelings about Fram. So I just avoid the problems by avoiding the product I guess. Maybe this >LINK< will help? its an interesting read if anything...

Old 05-11-2006, 07:20 PM
Administrator

Here is a VERY informative thread on BITOG's Forums:
If fram is so bad, then why is it being sold in every store I go to??

Old 05-11-2006, 07:33 PM
MCas86 is an unknown quantity at this point

to be honest, i dont pay much attention...i go into Napa and ask for an oil filter for a 2000 4wd blazer 4.3l Vortec V6 and i let them go get it...and i dont really look @ the box...i just go home and do it up. i never had any problems tho...however im gonna go post a diff problem right now.

Old 05-11-2006, 08:10 PM
magtec is an unknown quantity at this point

never had any problems with fram filters, and we use them pretty much exclusively. started with the basic orange filter, then moved to the toughguards. lately i've been using purolator pureone filters, though.

Old 05-12-2006, 09:36 AM
Administrator
m00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond repute

I have never used a FRAM filter, but simply because I don't want to spend the money on them.

I use the Motomaster one I can buy from Canadian Tire, and I have never had an issue. I'm not sure ifthere is something similar in the States, but I like Motomaster stuff. It's cheap and it works. Buying a FRAM filter wouldn't have been an option for me unless it was on sale in the past, but it might not be an option for me these days because of my new information I've read.

The most interesting statement to me was in that one forum that Kyle posted where the guy said that it might be "good enough".

Eating at McDonalds is "good enough" for putting food in your belly, but is it actually "good" for you?

Old 05-12-2006, 11:30 AM
Binz316 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was always buying Fram, partly because I was unaware of any trouble with them. Then having been enlightened on this forum I changed to ACDelco for the truck and car. I will say this I didn't notice any significant changes with the truck, but my Srt on cold mornings now doesn't tick like crazy (lifters) to get the oil up. And I credit that to the change in filter. Anybody that is familiar with Mopar and lives in a colder climate knows what I speak of. Anyways, I'm definitely glad I stopped using Fram for that reason alone, and for anybody who does want to make the switch check out ebay; I ordered 12 mix and match (6 for car, 6 for truck) and got them shipped for $16.

Old 05-12-2006, 03:55 PM
onebadapple is an unknown quantity at this point

Search up Oil Filter Compairson, and in everyone you will see Fram & Pensoil filters are the McDonalds of oil filters. The Pureolator is cheaper and much better filter ACDelco is also a great filter(both rated nearly the best for cold oil flow at startup).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil Filters - Buyer Be Aware