Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Oil leakage

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 01:17 PM
Starting Member
gmbwrenchn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Oil leakage

I really don't want to have to do this but guess I have no choice. Have some oil leakage issues. Looks like from between the intake and block in the front of the engine. Don't want to rip it apart.......not with 148k miles on it. Not worth it. Question I have is what is the best oil additive stop leak on the market today. Believe me I'm not crazy about doing this. Thanks for the help.

Old 04-11-2009, 01:25 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure it is leaking from up there and not from your oil lines..?

As far as the miracles in a bottle, I cannot and will not recommend a single one.

Old 04-11-2009, 02:07 PM
Starting Member

Yea positive..........good enough, thanks. Looks like there is a leak coming from one of the heads too. Not sure if it's oil or coolant. More likely canidate.....coolant? But is oil leakage there a possibility too?

Old 04-11-2009, 02:12 PM
mech cb is on a distinguished road

Is it coming from the top or bottom of the head? If it's the top-it's 100% oil. If it's from the bottom, it could be either one. Unless your coolant is dirty, you just look at the color of the fluid leaking out. If it's green, it's coolant. If it's brown/black-oil. As far as an additive, engine honey works pretty good-but it's not a permanant fix. You need to get that engine fixed the right way. It's given you all these good miles-why not give it a little love back?

Old 04-11-2009, 02:44 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mech cb
...If it's green, it's coolant...
Unless it's DexCool, then it's a reddish-brown.

Old 04-11-2009, 02:46 PM

Oh yea! I forgot that's what GM uses. I'm used to working on my diesel trucks. Nice catch!

Old 04-11-2009, 09:48 PM
Starting Member

Leak is coming from the lower right on the bottom of the head. I can use the green coolant in there when it comes time to change.....right? The red is in there now.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:05 PM

Even if you drain your radiator, you're still gonna have coolant in your block. So you need to stick with the same type of coolant. Since it's coming from the bottom of your head, that means you have a blown head gasket. What color/viscosity is the fluid? Is it a thinner watery fluid, or a thicker, darker fluid?

Old 04-19-2009, 08:40 PM
Starting Member

I think I want to go after that oil leak on top between the intake and block. Looks like there is RTV between the two. Is there supose to be a gasket there? Anything I should be aware of when doing this? Thanks.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:36 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The top rail of the block is sealed with RTV. I have used gaskets before in this location and IMO, RTV works a lot better. Cleanliness is key to getting the RTV to seal up properly.

Quick Reply: Oil leakage