Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Oil Pan Help!!!! plz

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 06:14 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

i would think they would actually sell the bung and plug as a kit. kinda like with 02 sensors. if you just drill and tap the actual oil pan theres not much thereto hold it from re stripping out. probably gonna have to weld on the threaded part. out of all the crap i seen on cars ive yet to see a drain hole welded shut. post a pic if you can

Old 12-21-2011, 01:40 AM
Beginning Member
rpeastep is on a distinguished road

Yeah, that is a very strange one. Save a lot of money on oil. Probably cost more to weld it up than it would have had they just retapped it or bought an oversized repair plug. I remember seeing those before.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:52 PM
Starting Member
Gale is an unknown quantity at this point

You could suck the old oil out (like some boat owners do) the best you could and replace the filter.

Another trick for an engine over the hill with a bad drain plug is to keep dumping the oil out of the filter then screw it back on and pour it out again until it get very low but is still building some pressure. Then fill with new oil and just change the filter and top off the oil from time to time.

If the oil gets dirty looking quickly do this about every 500 miles for a while. Filters are about $5 at WM or less.

Keep in mind NO one welds up an oil plug if they care about the engine. Should later you find the truck has cash or functional value then by all means get the drain hole addressed. I just to not see it your main concern today if you have no good way to do it. The filter dump method is a hack but just takes a twist of the wrist. If you mess up the old one getting it off the first time just get you a $3 filter and only hand tighten it to lower the oil level.

Expect to find the current filter to be clogged and by-passing already.

WARNING to other readers: this is a HACK and should not be done with known good engines. It however makes sense in my mind when you buy an old vehicle that may have been parked for years and you need to drive it home to at least change out the filter and that much oil to insure the filter is not in full time by-pass model like you can see on Youtube.

Last edited by Gale; 12-21-2011 at 02:57 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:04 PM
DT727 is on a distinguished road

yea i took a pic of it but i have no way to get it up online cuz its on a cell phone with no service, but it looks like a freeze plug almost, the bottom side of the plug. its wierd cuz it reminds me of a roofing nail almost because there is a small dot in the middle like a small nail goes threw it and the freeze plug looking plug is over a seal it seems like...weirdest thing ive ever seen....

as far as the hack with the oil filter, keep putting one on and taking it off to drain the oil. How would i get more oil into the filter if i cant turn the engine on yet to build up pressure? is there another way to build up pressure?
....maybe is there a way i can get a siphone started threw the oil pump but i doubt that would work?

Old 12-22-2011, 08:42 PM

how about sucking the oil out threw the oil dip-stick? with like a pump or something? would that be a good idea?? or could it screw up stuff considering the age of the truck?

Old 12-23-2011, 06:48 PM
2000jimmbo4x4 is on a distinguished road

not that i recomend punching a new hole in your oil pan, but i have used this as a "temporary" repair for customers who cant afford to replace their oil pan after the oversize plug has worn out. ive done a few repeat oil changes on the same vehicle was a 2nd gen blazer actualy. no leaks as of yet to my surprise. its probly about your cheapest method if you have no other way out.

Old 12-23-2011, 07:01 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by 2000jimmbo4x4
not that i recomend punching a new hole in your oil pan, but i have used this as a "temporary" repair for customers who cant afford to replace their oil pan after the oversize plug has worn out. ive done a few repeat oil changes on the same vehicle was a 2nd gen blazer actualy. no leaks as of yet to my surprise. its probly about your cheapest method if you have no other way out.

how do you seal it ? retap a new plug ?

Old 12-24-2011, 12:21 PM

That is the seal. The hook folds in half to fit through the drain plug hole then expands on the other side then you seal it up by threading the plug down to the hole. The plug is a fairly large rubber seal about 1.5" in diameter. I've used this method twice. Once one a second gen blazer with the aluminum pan and once on a honda. I've done repeat oil changes on both now with no leaks

Old 12-24-2011, 05:26 PM

what is the hook? a little confused about this part..."The hook folds in half to fit through the drain plug hole then expands on the other side then you seal it up by threading the plug down to the hole"... is there a way to put up a pic of the plug ur talking about? it seems what you are talking about is not a metal bolt oil plug thats why i asked

Old 12-25-2011, 12:14 PM

I posted a link for it in my first post. The hook is also the nut that the threaded rod screws into.

Quick Reply: Oil Pan Help!!!! plz