Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

this one is a tough one

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 07:21 AM
AndrewO1991 is on a distinguished road

I do know the pump cools itself with the return supply. When the line blew it may have damaged the pump if it was ran like that for some time.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:16 PM
Beginning Member
cjdavidson10 is on a distinguished road

yeah its got to be leakin after about 10 mins it dropped to about 40 psi so tomarrow im going to go over the lines n make sure everything is tight n no leaks ill post the results just a quick question what dose it take in psi to start it

Old 03-22-2013, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the rough

It needs to be around 60psi

Old 03-22-2013, 04:55 PM
Banned
chestypuller can only hope to improve

You got a leak son

Old 03-22-2013, 05:45 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Pressure needs to be 60psi to 66psi to start and run properly. Down to about 55psi, it might still start on its own, but it will run poorly. From 55psi to 50psi, you'll have to give it a shot of carb spray to get it running, it might stay running, it might not. With less than 50psi, the carb spray should make it start, but most likely it will not stay running. Below ~43psi, the poppet valves will not open and squirt fuel.

If your leakdown is excessive, which it sounds like it is, you'll need check the fuel pump maximum output pressure and leakdown. The pressure tester will need to be modified so it will connect directly to the fuel filter outlet so all fuel pressure and flow ends at the tester, (commonly called "deadhead" pressure). It must be 73psi to 108psi while the pump is running, and remain above 55psi for at least 10 minutes after the pump shuts off. Post your results.

Old 03-23-2013, 05:57 PM
Beginning Member

farther inspection in the lines i dicovered a hole in the return line replaceing it now just takeing a warm up break then back to it

Old 03-23-2013, 06:02 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

The return line is relatively low pressure, but it still needs to be "fuel injection rated" rubber line, or steel. If you use steel, compression fittings are fine. If you use rubber, use the full circle clamps, not the worm gear style.

Old 03-24-2013, 02:11 PM
Beginning Member

well the hole in the return line is fixed everything is tight doing a drop test now if it still fails then where do i go from there i checked all the lines and its good, when i prime the tank i hear what sounds like a hiss or some kind of noise from the top of the motor where the fuel goes in

Old 03-24-2013, 06:19 PM

Check fuel pressure and leakdown again. Key ON, engine OFF, fuel pump running: Pressure must be 60psi to 66psi and it must remain above 55psi for at least 10 minutes after the pump shuts off. Post your results and we'll go from there.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:12 PM
Beginning Member

well im just going to stop looking under that truck everything i do i find something new... gotta spend another 125-130 bucks for a new fuel tank its got a hole about a inch or 2 on it...i dont know how i missed it the 1st time i droped the tank... but alteast now ill have a brand new one gotta go order the tank tomarrow n it will take about 3 days to come in till then im just getting the old one out n the pump out of it n clean up under the truck a bit where the tank goes

Quick Reply: this one is a tough one