Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

p0740 back to haunt me...

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 12:32 PM
ant2297 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default p0740 back to haunt me...

i thought i fixed this problem in the beginning of the year. i removed the steering wheel and found that a part of the combination switch was not fully seated, clicked it back into place, and the problem hasn't come back... since 2 nights ago. i felt the truck bog for a second and also felt it in the throttle. i said oh no.. this feels all too familiar. ran fine for another second then clunk, into limp home mode. i was furious. i knew that it had come back. before i fixed the problem around jan or feb i used to bang the top of the steering column and it would usually go away. so i pulled over, turned the truck off(key would get stuck right below the on position, above the off position), and used my palm to hit the key/ignition inwards towards the steering column. key dropped to off, turned the truck on and the problem went away. don't tell me i need to replace the ignition switch... sounds like it right?

and also my cooling system has been bothering me. there is NO air in the cooling system what so ever, holds 16 lbs or pressure constant. replaced cap, t-stat, and sending unit for the gauge. t-stat opens right above 210, drops down to 190, and then keeps fluctuating from 190 - 210. i'm thinking the sending unit may be too sensitive to changes, or maybe bad water pump. your thoughts?

thanks,
ant

Old 12-17-2009, 01:14 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The ignition switch should not cause your ignition cylinder to get stuck unless it has problems internally which is not the typical failure.

What did you reseat previously to get it working again...? By combination switch, do you mean the multifunction (turn signal, wiper, high beam) switch...?

How have you determined that there is no air in the cooling system?

Old 12-17-2009, 07:44 PM

but the ignition switch only gets stuck when the problem occurs. yes i meant multi functioning switch. i dont really remember it but im trying my best. one of the connectors connecting into the the ignition switch harness wasnt fully connected, and when i fully seated it(clicked it back into place) the truck drove so smooth, now its driving like sh*t, i can feel and hear it. idk wtf is causing this. happened to me again tonight and went away as i was going down my driveway. i got the schematic for the whole circuit from battery to TCC so im gonna double check. but its in the steering column i know that. its so frustrating i despise this code...

i bled the coolant system so many times. had the truck on a incline, right side slightly more elevated. from when it was ice cold to when the thermostat was fully open, with the heater control valve fully open and blower motor just under max. revved a few times...

Old 12-18-2009, 07:08 PM

how do i remove the top cover of the steering column? the ignition is permitting me to remove it. i read somewhere to put a allen key into the hole on the top of it and turn the ignition to run and it should pop out, but that is not working. i searched the forum and it says refer to steering column trim installation, where is that at?

Old 12-18-2009, 07:11 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

This thread should help get the top cover off:
Ignition Switch Replacement

Old 12-18-2009, 07:23 PM

thanks, but i was reading that earlier today and i have a different setup then that. i have to remove the tumbler or ignition to get my top cover off. im not sure what the correct terminology is for it, but its where the key goes into.