Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Possibly Buying 03 blazer Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 01:40 PM
Beginning Member
SkyhawkCaptain is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Possibly Buying 03 blazer Need Advice

Disclaimer!!!! Please, this is not a red vs green thread. I love blazers and have found one that really catches my eye. All I am asking is for advice on how to handle my problem.

Hey guys,

Currently I own an 01 blazer 2dr LS 5spd and was looking into buying an 03 blazer. Exactly the same as mine now except gray and with an auto.

My question has been racking my brain for many days now and I need some expert advice. The Blazer I went to look at is in good shape, interior is great and the body of the truck has no rust or dings and looks right off the factory floor.

The problem is I was checking under the hood for loose hoses, leaks etc... and I opened the coolant resevoir tank and noticed it was almost empty and had a thick red mud built up on the walls. (smelt like warm yogurt to). I have been researching the forums and online about this and know that its a problem that could possibly be related to the dex cool.

I forgot to crack the radiator cap or check the underside of the oil filler cap for milkiness but is there anything I can check to see if the motor and systems are still good?

Like hopefully all I would need is to get rid of the dex cool and Im in business? This could possibly be a deal killer (I don't want to spend 5 grand on a dead horse).

Thanks for your time guys.

Old 06-13-2010, 01:55 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

If you buy it, do a complete and thorough coolant system flush and use whichever coolant you wish along with a new Stant Lev-R-Vent radiator cap. Any issues after that would just be the luck of the draw when buying a used vehicle.

Old 06-13-2010, 03:21 PM
Beginning Member
SkyhawkCaptain is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for the reply. I am going to see if the dealer will flush it for me. Will that clear all the crap out of the resevoir?

The truck is a rare find in my opinion and I don't want to let my ole reliable '01 go if this one is going to be a piece of junk.

One other question, is there any way you could tell if the seals and gaskets were shot because of this issue? Other than milky oil or things like that?

Thanks again for your time.