Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Problem after problem...please help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 08:00 AM
MyBlazerSucks is on a distinguished road
Default Problem after problem...please help!

Where do I begin?

We have a 95 s10 4wd blazer.

Lately when you turn it on it is idling super high. So when we put it into gear it jumps (I think this is because it is idling in park at just under 2000rpm). What could be causing this?

Also the heat randomly works. Sometimes it does and it works good, because it feels like we are in a sauna, and sometimes it doesnt work at all!

Last night my husband went to Walmart, but stopped to get gas first. When he went to turn the blazer back on, it wouldn't start, and then he said he smelled something funny. When he lifted the hood all of the antifreeze was completely gone. When he poured it back in, it drained out as quick as he put it in. He said he thinks it was coming from the bottom, but it was snowing and 12 degrees outside so he didn't crawl under there to look yet. We have had that issue before I believe. We have had the waterpump replaced 3 times in the past 6 months!

If someone could shed some light on any of these issues I would really appreciate it, I am seriously ready to rip my hair out and/or drive the blazer over a cliff. Who knows, maybe both!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-04-2012, 10:29 AM
TheRandom1 has a spectacular aura aboutTheRandom1 has a spectacular aura about

Well the heat issue is very probably caused by your antifreeze leaking issue. Without enough antifreeze in the system the heater core cannot get hot fluid in it and so you cannot get hot air blown at you.

If your water pump has been replaced 3 times in the past 6 months, I'd wonder why it's gone out so often. Has a lazy mechanic just said it's the water pump instead of diagnosing the real issue?

I would figure out where the antifreeze was actually leaking from, and have it fixed and the system refilled properly so all of the air is out of it. Probably a good idea to check the oil level and make sure it's full and doesn't look like chocolate milk. (chocolate milk looking oil indicates a blown head gasket) which will then (hopefully) solve the issue of antifreeze and heat which are more important (to me anyways)

Also, I say look at this stuff first because I have no clue about the idle. I am not sure if the idle speed is adjustable by hand or computer, so I'll let someone else chime in about that.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:02 AM
Toby Hanson will become famous soon enough

Idle is controlled by the computer via the idle speed control motor. The first thing I would suspect if there's a fast idle is a vacuum leak.