Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Problem with fill up

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 07:11 PM
Starting Member
BlazinMike89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Problem with fill up

I seem to have a problem when i fill my tank up. I Have a 1997 S10 Blazer With RWD only. Its Also 2Dr. Now Im assuming that i have anywhere bewteen a 18-20gal tank. When My needle is near/on red i go to fill up and can barely get 14gal in. after 14.5 it will leak out at the filler like surge out. Around 13 the pump clicks, and i gotta keep clicking it to fill it up. I had the Fuel pump replaced and Filter in april, i put 15K on it since then. I cant figure it out?

Old 02-13-2009, 07:18 PM
Leeann_Bravada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Problem with fill up

Have you ever put a gallon in a can in the truck and driven it until you actually run out? The gauges are notoriously inaccurate and what you may think is empty isn't even close...

Old 02-13-2009, 07:20 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

x2

When Im on the E with low fuel light on, it takes about 14.5. I usually push it past that, get to the other side of the E, and it still only takes 15 tops.

btw, filling all the way up, as many clicks as you can, actually will decrease your mileage because you'll lose alot of fuel through evaporation in the neck.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:32 PM
Starting Member

i see, anyways how many gallons should my tank hold, 18 or 19 or 20. im thhinking its 18 but not sure. is there anything to fix the guages accuracy?

Old 02-13-2009, 07:35 PM

I don't know about a 97. Mine is 20 gallons.

No, it's really the fuel sending unit. You'd have to replace the sending unit, which is in the tank, and hope that the new one is more accurate.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:36 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

I think it should be 16.5 since you have a 2-door. But your manual should tell ya

As for the accuracy...Id say just try pushing it farther and farther each time (based on mileage on your trip odometer), and figure out what you can get. Im not sure if the inaccuracy is in the gauge calibration or in the sending unit on the pump. If its in the sending unit, a new sending unit/pump should correct it a little...but Im just not sure!

Old 02-13-2009, 07:44 PM
Starting Member

idk i just had the pump and sending unit done in april 08 when i had an entire overhaul on the truck, tuneup, transmission, fuel pump, everything was done so not sure. as far as the manual i dont have one, the owner who sold it to me didnt have it. is there anywhere i can find out how to obtain one?

Old 02-13-2009, 07:53 PM

You can download one thanks to Chevy.

http://www.gm.com/gmownercenter/

And sign up. You'll be able to download the manual as a PDF once you're confirmed.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:54 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: BlazinMike89

i see, anyways how many gallons should my tank hold, 18 or 19 or 20. im thhinking its 18 but not sure. is there anything to fix the guages accuracy?
2 door = 19 gallons
4 door = 18 gallons

Old 02-13-2009, 08:02 PM
BF Veteran

hahaha way off. my apologies.

Quick Reply: Problem with fill up