Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

pulling engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 07:41 PM
samuknow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default pulling engine

OK,

I have started to pull my engine for the swap. Finally had time to tackle this. Well anyway, this has been a nightmare. Had to push up the engine to get the starter out so I could then get to the converter bolts. Then comes the trans to engine bolts. Most were fine. The one on the driver side is crazy. I ended up drilling a hole in my floor under my gas pedal to get the socket to it. I can't even imagine how you get to this at a shop. I will finish it up tomorrow. Well getting it out. Then I will take it up to pick up the replacement. I will have to remove anything there that is not on the replacement. I am taking most everything off.

I am just amazed at how difficult some of this stuff is to get. I have replaced many engines when I was younger. Never a 4x4 though. Goo grief.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:44 PM
xmradioguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: pulling engine

At a shop they undo the body mounts and jack up the cab. I used a specialty snap on swivel socket and swore a lot.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:26 AM

Jacking up the body, why did I not think of that? That would have helped a little on the top two bolts as well.

I tried adjusting the floor with a crow bar and a hammer first. Got real close. Finally said screw it and drilled a 1.5 inch hole in the floor. I will cover it with sheet metal and seal it up when I get the engine back in. This is one of those things where you want to go "explain" in great detail your dissatisfaction to the engineers at GM.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:47 AM
ctolb is an unknown quantity at this point

lol now picture doing all this in 15" lifted blzer

Old 01-04-2009, 02:18 PM

Then at least I could have sat up underneath it. LOL

Old 01-04-2009, 07:15 PM
ctolb is an unknown quantity at this point

lol i pulled the engine out of a 15" lifted blazer i built a entires stage around the front of the truck and then backed my truck up to it with the engin hoist the back of the truck took tailgate off of corse also took the front of the blazer off was very interesting

Old 01-04-2009, 07:30 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

The fastest and easiest way to get the top two tranny bellhousing bolts out is by removing the driveshafts, remoe the tranny cross brace and tip the tranny down. Use about 3' of extensions and a wobble socket. takes like 15 minutes iwht air tools. Much faster and easier than jacking hte body up. First time I removed the tranny I jacked the body up, then I found a better way.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:40 PM

Well the engine is in the back of my truck. I am off tomorrow to pick up the replacement. I was amazed at how many grounds were attached to the back of the engine. Good grief.

I have to put everything back on it tomorrow.

Then drop it in this weekend. Praise God.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:45 AM

Things have slowed me down a little at getting this back in.

I think it is ready to go now. I need to get a 25 dollar oil pressure sender. Good grief.

I swapped oil pans due to damage from the accident that caused the engine to end up in the scrap yard. This thing is immaculate inside.

It took me two hours to get my old pan cleaned out. No wonder it spun a bearing. There was so much sludge in the bottom I do not see how it could have gotten oil at all.

Oh well, it will be running soon.

Old 01-11-2009, 12:43 PM
848 Hooligan is an unknown quantity at this point

I know how you feel I just did it myself about 2 weeks ago on a 98 Blazer 4x4, got about 200 miles on the replacement engine and now I have no oil pressure so now I can do it all over again this time im putting a new long block in, to much work to take another chance at a used engine. Those bellhousing bolts were a real good time and that stater was like a jig saw puzzle on how to get it out lol, I think I will attempt to remove the engine without taking the front clip off this time just to save some time, I think it can be done by just removing the radiator hopefuly. Let us know how it goes I will be ordering my new engine on Monday and I am preping the garage so I can do this nightmare all over again, at least its winter time here [:@].

Quick Reply: pulling engine