Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Question about 94 s10 blazer oil pump

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 02:14 AM
dlippiet is on a distinguished road
Default Question about 94 s10 blazer oil pump

My oil pump is on its way but i don't know how to get to it, my mechanic (R.I.P. Died last week) said i may have to lift the engine up a little, do i really need to jack the engine up?

Now in case i am wrong the reason my mechanic and i assume its the oil pump is because the pressure is fine, until normal temp then it drops to between 8-12 and even lower then that when getting off the highway and sitting at a light...and the engine burns oil after driving for a long period of time...I'm saving up for an engine rebuild kit but for now i hope that its just the oil pump because its going to take me till next summer to get up the money

Old 05-14-2010, 05:11 AM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

Doesn't soundlike an oil pump to me. They either work or they don't. You have other engine issues. Just for grins take off the oil filter adapter and clean it real good. It may be a bypass sticking open. Any leaks? This could be the culprit (the sender at the adapter). Try the cheap fix first. At least you'll change the oil and filter

Old 05-15-2010, 05:00 PM

How do i go about checking for oil leaks?

Old 05-15-2010, 07:04 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

1. Look at the surface you park over for oil on the ground.
2. Wash the engine (rear and underneath, too), transmission, and any lines, hoses, etc. then look for fresh oil on those surfaces.
3. Do you have to add oil regularly?

Old 05-15-2010, 07:22 PM

Theres never any oil on the ground, i put a new water pump in over the winter and it was leaking coolant a little so every time i take her out i check underneath before leaving

I dont have to add oil regularly, some times it'll go six weeks, other times it'll go till a couple weeks before my next oil change is due

I'll wash the engine tuesday when my friend doesn't have work i dont want to screw anything up...i build computers, he builds engines, but i'm learning along the way because i want this to be my project, not some mechanic that gets paid to do what needs to be done. Besides every mechanic I've had in PA so far has either died of a heart attack or a car lift falling on them =/

Old 05-15-2010, 07:40 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dlippiet
...Besides every mechanic I've had in PA so far has either died of a heart attack or a car lift falling on them =/

Old 05-16-2010, 12:29 AM

Doesn't sound like it's a leak then especially if your engine/trans os fairly clean. I'd still investigate the bypass in the engine for sticking open. You could try Sea Foaming the engine oil but be prepared to change the oil real soon. It'll clean out the sludge and free up anything sticking. Some people aren't real big fans of the stuff but I'd swear by it (not at it). There's a whole thread on it on the site. Many inputs.

Old 05-16-2010, 12:45 AM

I checked and there is a leaky hose, I'll keep it parked till i can get new hoses next month but I'll look up seafoaming on here and check the bypass on tuesday

Old 05-16-2010, 12:58 AM

Your leaky hose would probably cause what you described. Be prepared for some "fun" with all sarcasm intended. You'll either be a patient man or in a straightjacket after you change the hose if it's the one to the filter adapter. Go in from the front to get the bolt out. I used an 18" extension plus a little more and a wobbly socket when I changed mine. When you get the hose off take a look at the adapter. If it even looks loke ot may be leaking there is an "O" ring and a gasket when you remove the two bolts. I ended up buying an aftermarket "kit" and had to do the job again. The dealer sells a "kit" for this that has the correct gasket and "O" ring for about $6.00 - $7.00. Still easier than an oil pump. By the way I don't want to be your mechanic. Seems like the longevity isn't too hot. Let us know hiw you make out.

Last edited by Gimpy Blazer; 05-16-2010 at 01:01 AM.
Old 05-16-2010, 01:50 AM

Thanks for the info. And lol... my most recent mechanic had my blazer on his lot, wasn't just a mechanic but a dear friend i used to sit and BS all day even before i had a car, the blazer had been sold 5 times from his lot and returned 4 times...he swears its cursed, then i saw his obit in the paper last week an he hasn't been near it in over a year so idk lol

Quick Reply: Question about 94 s10 blazer oil pump