Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 06:57 PM
01blazerman87 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Questions...

I have a similar problem. My vehicle is a 2001 Chevy Blazer, 4.3L V-6 Votrec, 262 ci. When I first start it up the oil pressure goes up to sixty or higher, but never up to eighty. After driving for about five to ten minutes, the oil pressure gauge reads evenly at forty while maintaining a steady speed. After the vehicle gets up to operating temp, the oil pressure will drop down to less then twenty or sometimes stay at twenty when at a dead stop. Then when I accelerate it shoots up past forty but only by a about five then I'll hit a cruising speed and it'll even out at forty. I have been told many different things but I've read on here some pretty informative threads so I turn to you guys for better advice. I have not replaced anything yet (minus the usual maintenance items) so everything is still the same on the engine. No special parts either. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for all your help gentleman.

Old 08-27-2011, 07:03 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

01blazerman87, that sounds normal. I wouldn't recommend changing anything.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:01 PM

Ok. It has 169,546 miles on it. I have been told it is the main bearings going out. Then that it was the oil pump. It started about six or seven months ago. But I'll take your word for it. Thanks for the quick reply.

Also I would like some help with a few other things. I would like to know the best way to check for vacuum leaks without spending hundreds of dollars. And there is a puttering noise from the tailpipe. It's like a diesel almost. Like a whump whump whump. That sort of noise but not loud.

Oh and also a ticking noise from the steering wheel. It clicks when I turn it a little bit. I am a disabled veteran and am on a fixed income so I don't have alot of money to buy new tool and parts. SO any cheap way to fix it would be nice. Thanks.

Last edited by swartlkk; 08-27-2011 at 09:32 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:28 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

*Moved to a new thread of your own* - Rather than take THIS POST off topic.

Well, from the numbers you posted, you have absolutely no problem with the oiling system and your main bearings likely are fine since oil pressure would suffer with increased bearing clearances.

As far as testing for vacuum leaks, an unlit propane torch can be used by tracing along all of the vacuum lines & gasket interfaces while flowing propane from the torch tip with the engine running. You are listening for a noticeable change in the sound in the engine.

Any other symptoms going along with this puttering noise? How does the engine run while driving down the road? Any diagnostic codes present or pending?

If your truck is 4wd and you are moving while you turn the steering wheel, clicking can indicate a failed or failing CV joint on the front driveshaft.

Old 08-28-2011, 01:39 AM

Thank you for the vacuum leak info. As for the puttering noise, the engine runs great while driving down the road. There is one code, the P0446, or EVAP vent circuit malfunction/blocked. I know to check the hoses for kinks breaks or any damage. I found an online manual on the GM EVAP system for the blazer models. It lists on specific part to change when this code gets thrown.

My truck is only two wheel drive. Any other ideas on the steering wheel. I can actually feel the clicking in the steering wheel while holding it.

Old 08-28-2011, 12:43 PM
kristoph30 is on a distinguished road

Thank you for your service sir.

Old 08-28-2011, 01:18 PM
Administrator

The P0446 Code Sheet combined with a search for 'P0446' should get that problem licked.

As far as the clicking, please be more descriptive about the circumstances that result in the noise/sensation. Is the vehicle moving while you experience the condition? Are you holding the wheel steady or in the process of turning the wheel when you experience the condition? Is the condition consistent; as in does it always occur at a specific speed, steering wheel position, etc? The more details you can provide, the better we can help. You have to be the eyes, ears, & hands for us.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:02 PM

The steering wheel clicks at eleven and one o'clock. Doesn't matter whether I am moving or not. Doesn't matter what speed I'm driving. The steering wheel has about three inches of play in it from side to side. And it moves up and down about 1/8th on an inch while gripping at the twelve and six o'clock positions.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:42 PM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road

I don't see that being any problem my trucks oil pressure gauge is pretty close to what you are saying and I have been driving it for over 3 years that way and have still not had any problems with it running.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:25 PM

Thank you 84BlazerS10. I appreciate your input. Any idea about the steering problem?

Quick Reply: Questions...