Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Radiator question..

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 01:38 PM
Beginning Member
diRteh is on a distinguished road
Default Radiator question..

Ok.. Here it goes.. plz excuse my lack of technical ability..

The wife's 2000 Jimmy started leaking a bit from the front.. The AC started to blow warm.. So she told me about this and I scurried around and after filling the radiator and overflow tank back up, saw it dripping from behind the Fan shroud while running..

I got to looking and found that there is a big difference of price between radiators on Rockauto..

Some have w/ Max cool or w/ AC w/o HD.. blah blah blah...

Her jimmy has a coil in the radiator that seems to be hooked up to the Oil lines..
And the AC lines go around to the front..

Here is a pic..

Which is the right one to order?.. besides the obvious difference in price and probably the made in china factor does it matter?..

Her Jimmy is 2WD and does not have the factory Tow option..
Thanks for the help guys..

Attached Thumbnails Radiator question..-imag0454.jpg  
Old 07-12-2011, 11:48 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

That would be the transmission cooler you are looking at in the pic. The A/C system is completely separate from the cooling system for the engine.

Shouldn't be that hard to determine which radiator you need. Check out some local shops to compare.

Old 07-13-2011, 03:29 AM
BlackBastard is on a distinguished road

yeah just go to autozone or whatever and ask for a radiatio, it just has two big hoses that go into it, one on top and one on bottom. and a small hose running out of the neck for overflow. there is no ac lines running in it. If your hoses are in bad shape (dry rotted, torn) then get new hoses as well, and new hose clams, just an extra 25 bucks.

and that "coil" is just part of the radiators core

Last edited by swartlkk; 07-13-2011 at 06:21 AM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:13 AM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by BlackBastard
and that "coil" is just part of the radiators core
Wrong. That "coil" is the transmission cooler that is inside the radiator end cap. On the other side of the radiator end cap is an oil cooler. There will be inlets and outlets for both coolers plus the radiator.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:27 PM
Beginning Member
diRteh is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the heads up.. The ones listed w/o the 'Max Cool' options do not contain the 2 coolers listed.. The one listed with the A/C options has the condenser coil built onto the radiator itself.. All in all, I'm looking at $175 plus shipping from rockauto..

I found a guy locally that will get the right radiator for $150 and charge me 1.5 hours labor to put it in.. Since I don't have the right tools or confidence to do it myself, I think it's worth the extra few bucks..

Not to mention it's 115* w/ the heat index this week..

Thanks for the input it helped to know what was going on even if I didn't attempt to do it myself..

+1 Blazer forum again

Old 07-19-2011, 03:13 AM
BlackBastard is on a distinguished road

you could easily do it yourself bud,
all you need is some sockets, around 10m, a ratchet, and plyers for hose clamps.
should tell you step by step on how to in your owners manual.
that owners manual tells you how to do alot of things if your not a gear-head. take advantage of it and save some money.