Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

random cloud of smoke / 97 blazer 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 10:12 AM
Beginning Member
dirty420 is on a distinguished road
Default random cloud of smoke / 97 blazer 4x4

ok first off i have a 97 blazer 4x4 with 180,000 miles on it

well i have been having this problem for awhile now and i have replaced alot of stuff on my truck. the first issue i was having was that when i would be driving the truck would miss a lil and feel sluggish ,i was getting a random misfire code too . then i started noticing that it would blow out smoke while it was missing some times and i started seeing wet spots all over my back end.i had a stereo system in the truck at the time and i would notice it missing more while i was bumping . so i sold the system and it stopped doing it as much plus i flushed the coolant system like 5 times cause it was almost like mud in it , replaced the thermostat and water pump ,belt,belt tensioner , and a pully the spark plugs , wires , cap and rotor ,oil "looked good" fixed a minor leak on a coolant hoose around the intake " it looked like when there was pressure it would start to leak ,i put heet and injector cleaner in the tank i did all that and it seemed to be fine for a few days then i drove it from ohio to montana , i would say about 30 miles into the drive i seen the random cloud of smoke behind me . i kept on going and the truck drove fine , in north dakota my engine light came on but it went away after i got gas and a lil oil. i hadnt drove it much since i got here because my 4x4 was out so i put in a new vacuum actuator and took it out on a loop around the mtns and noticed it blowing smoke when i was almost done with the loop . i checked the coolant level and it seemd like it lost just a lil bit and the wet spots are back on the back of the truck

can any one help me ??

Old 03-24-2011, 10:32 AM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

a pressure test on the cooling system might find the leak, maybe put some die in the coolant.....sounds like its burning something other than gas lol

Old 03-24-2011, 11:23 AM
Beginning Member

yeah thats kinda what i was thinking lol it seems like once it builds up pressure it blows the smoke then stop, it doest seem like the smoke is coming from the tail pipe either because the spots on the back are all over it . i can some times smell coolant out side the truck too when i get out it . does this sound like i intake gasket leak ? or just a leak somewhere in the coolant system and its spraying on the exhaust creating the smoke

Old 03-24-2011, 03:33 PM
Beginning Member

so what would explain the sluggishness ? seems allmost that around 2500 rpm it gets a lil sluggish

Old 03-24-2011, 05:10 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

that could be alot of things...but driving it with coolant in the oil is pretty bad, id keep an eye on that, also check for condensation/milk under the oil fill cap.

If your losing coolant and its not on the ground your engine is eating it, very bad.

as for the sluggishness, could need a tune up/ plugs may have fouled
could be a clogged cat converter, fuel problem along with others.....you'll need to do more investigation for the forum to help on that one.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:38 PM
Beginning Member

there is no coolant in the oil and i have done a compression test and all 6 were good the plugs looked good then too ..its hard to tell if the smoke is coming directly out the tail pipe or from around the engine because im always driving when it does it but like i said the spay on the back is all over not more near the tail pipe side

Old 03-30-2011, 09:08 PM
Beginning Member

ok so after changing my oil today i noticed no coolant in my oil at but did notice tha i think it could be my transfer case seal leaking and driping down causing the smoke ....does that sound like a it could be the source of the random smoke ?

Old 08-23-2011, 11:49 AM
ismusbe is on a distinguished road

Hi I have a 98 blazer with the same random smoke problem, i opened the hood and noticed the white smoke coming from behind the engine, on the passenger side, but I can't seem to pinpoint exactly where its coming from. Take a look and see if thats where your smoke is coming from

Side note: I had a rough idle on cold and wet mornings, changed rotor, cap, plugs, and finally the ignition coil nothing helped, then I noticed that the wire going to the ICM was worn and had some exposed wire, I wrapped it in elect tape and problem solved!

Old 08-24-2011, 06:53 PM
Beginning Member

pull the fill plug on your transfer case . if it pours out . then your seal is out