Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

rapid overheat

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 01:34 AM
mikesansone is on a distinguished road
Default rapid overheat

I have a 01 4x4 with about 130xxx on it. As of recently, I have been having mild overheat issues where the temp gauge would temporarily spike past 210 for some time but never actually enter into overheat range. Lately though i can barely drive at all before the blazer overheats and i have to pull over. The summer has started to reach about 95 everyday here so now it has become a big problem.

I installed a new radiator and hoses to try and fix the problem as my original had a crack. So far these are the things I have figured out.

-when pulled over the coolant in reservoir tank is boiling over
-small leak that seems to be coming from water pump(or beneath)
-no water or coolant in oil
-minimal condensation out the tailpipe (no white smoke)
-heat is intermittent in the cab

any ideas?

Old 06-12-2010, 07:35 AM
Starting Member
Nvidia78 is on a distinguished road

I would replace the thermostat, there cheap and it may be sticking shut. Its a 195 deg thermostat and you want to replace it with the same, having to cold of one like a 160 will give you bad gas mileage due to being in open loop all the time.... if the water pump is leaking you will want to replace that, but I would start with the thermostat and go from there

Old 06-12-2010, 10:29 AM
jigger is on a distinguished road

If the water pump is leaking then def replace it and do a 2fer with the stat, thermostats are cheap. When you pull the pump check out tge impeller just for s & g, if the blades are worn down that will cause poor circulation.

Before you tear into it take ir some place that test the coolant and exhaust. My 95 was doing simular to yours and ended up a cracked head.

Good luck

Old 06-12-2010, 11:15 AM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

did you get a new rad cap with the new rad? may not pressurize with a faulty one.....

Old 06-12-2010, 12:09 PM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road

Yeah, any one of the things listed could cause it to overheat I would check all of the above.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:49 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Nvidia78
I would replace the thermostat, there cheap and it may be sticking shut. Its a 195 deg thermostat and you want to replace it with the same, having to cold of one like a 160 will give you bad gas mileage due to being in open loop all the time.... if the water pump is leaking you will want to replace that, but I would start with the thermostat and go from there
WINNER!!! This is what I would suggest.... My fiancee's car was doing this while sitting in park... Turns out the thermostat was worn out and not opening...

Old 06-13-2010, 01:47 AM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road

Yeah, my thermostat wore out on my car shortly after I got it and wouldn't you know I was out of town when it went out...

Old 06-13-2010, 02:17 AM

alright i'll try and put in a new tsat tomorrow and see how that fares. the radiator cap was new with the radiator. also going to try and run some dye through to try and locate the leak to make sure.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:51 PM
Beginning Member
bjamick is on a distinguished road

So did the thermostat fix the problem?

Old 06-14-2010, 08:15 PM

so i put the new tsat in and it was a pain in the *** to get to that back bolt since i didnt have sockets on hand. had to take off the throttle cable bracket just to get access to it haha.

rapid overheat-downsized_0614001625.jpg

this is the old tstat and gasket. it was definitely in need of replacement. went driving around after refilling the radiator. It was 95 degrees today and that gauge sat right under the 210 mark the whole time i was driving around. I even cranked full max a/c and it barely moved. SUCCESSSSSSS

Quick Reply: rapid overheat