Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Rear seal and oil pan gasket replace Vs stop leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 06:26 PM
kevin turner is on a distinguished road
Default Rear seal and oil pan gasket replace Vs stop leak

My blazer is leaking oil form the rear seal and the oil pan gasket. To change these the easyest way seems to pull the engine. Would a can of stop leak hurt the engine to try and get the leaks stoped. Ive always runed syn. motor oil and a k&n oil filter.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:27 PM
ChrisC is on a distinguished road

Well if your blazer is not worth fixing right then its worth a shot , Ive never heard of stop leak fixing an oil leak long term, maybe for like 2 or 3 days. But , it will come back. The radiator stop leak is also crap. Just more junk in the lines to clog the heater core, radiator.

If its a 2wd, Definatley have to pull motor or unbolt and jack it up a good bit. There is a skid plate welded to the subframe which prevents you from getting to the pan easy, stupid GM.

4wd, Diff among other things has to be unbolted, slid forward, you can get to the pan ok, But then you still have to pull the trans to replace the rear main.

Lots of work either way.

Last edited by ChrisC; 03-05-2010 at 07:33 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:55 PM
kevin turner is on a distinguished road

Its def. worth fixing right. Just dont have another ride if i have to down mine. Just want a temp. fix for now. Its a 4x4 so if I dont have to pull the engine it will be a job that can be done in a day.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:31 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

go back to regular dino oil and add the stop leak.
if that dont work, pull the engine and rebuild it while you have it out.

Old 03-07-2010, 01:01 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevin turner
Its def. worth fixing right. Just dont have another ride if i have to down mine. Just want a temp. fix for now. Its a 4x4 so if I dont have to pull the engine it will be a job that can be done in a day.
The 4x4 has the front axle under the oil pan. Your not getting the oil pan out without lifting the engine enough to clear the main journals, about 5".

Old 03-28-2010, 10:17 AM
Starting Member
randycgaz is on a distinguished road

that really sucks. I have a 97 blazer with a hole in the pan a few inches up on the side. Too bad I can't plug it. the thought of pulling the differential just to pull the pan... well, it just sucks.

Old 03-30-2010, 01:23 PM
BF Veteran

You can plug a hole in teh oil pan. They make products specifically for that application. JB Weld could be used as well, just be carefull you dont let it run inside the pan.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:21 PM
mikeharry is on a distinguished road

Kevin - did you ever take the gasket out? i have a leak where the oil pan meets the engine under the rear main seal. I though it was the main seal but with the transmission off i can see that the oil is weeping from out where the pan makes contact with the engine block.