Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Rebuild or Put back together??

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 08:03 PM
Starting Member
Frog is on a distinguished road
Default Rebuild or Put back together??

Hello, everyone. I recently purchased a 1995 LT 4DR Blazer 4.3 V6 "W" about 2 weeks ago from someone that was in the process of changing the head gasket and about 1/2 way thru they stopped and decided to sell it so, I bought it.

It has been setting for about 8 months with the head off and it has some surface rust on the cylinder walls, but could be removed easily.

While I was out looking at it and cleaning up the cylinder walls, I noticed something....

I can still see the cross hatching!!!

And here

I was thinking of re-ringing the engine and new rod/main bearings, but, now I wonder if I should, I still want to look at the rod/main bearings to see how good they are but, I just wanted to get some input on what others think.

Oh, and it shows 196,xxx on the odometer.

Old 12-05-2010, 08:05 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I'd just put it back together. Those cylinders look fairly fresh off a rebuild anyhow and based off the cross-hatching pattern, they were done on a machine.

Old 12-05-2010, 08:13 PM
Starting Member

So, should I even worry about the rod/main bearings??

Old 12-05-2010, 08:31 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't.

Old 12-05-2010, 08:38 PM
Starting Member

Ok, Thanks.

One more question....I am going to be replacing most of the gaskets on the engine...(has oil all over the place underneath)....possible rear main, but my question is what is a good way to make sure the top end is nice and clean....because there are some chunks of the oil dirty clumps down where the lifters and cam are. Short of taking it apart of course.

Old 12-05-2010, 08:38 PM
Administrator

Shop vac what you can out of the lifter valley and then flush the rest down into the pay really well and drain it out.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:30 PM
Starting Member

Ok, Thanks Alot!!!

Any recommended cleaner??? Or will engine degreaser work ok???

Old 12-05-2010, 10:55 PM
Beginning Member
chevygonzalez is on a distinguished road

Frog, I would go ahead and put it together. I'm just about to finish a 1999 blazer and I wish it had the problem you have. I would take the other head off, do the valve seals on both. Use a new timing chain and don't go crazy trying to take off the rust--it will disappear when you start the engine. Good luck.

Old 12-06-2010, 05:54 AM
Administrator

I would just use a light oil like WD40 to rinse things down then flush with fresh motor oil when it's done to your satisfaction.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:06 AM
Starting Member

Thanks for all the input guys.

Should I use 000 steel wool or just a lint-free rag on the cylinder walls?? Also swartlkk, when you say "flush" with motor oil....just pour it down on top of the cam and lifters, pushrods, rockers etc...or after I get it together run it for a little while with fresh oil and drain?? Then fill with new oil??

Chevygonzalez....why do you wish you had the problem I have??

Quick Reply: Rebuild or Put back together??