Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

To Rebuild or Remanufacture

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 11:05 AM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default To Rebuild or Remanufacture

Hi all,
I recently got a quote from a guy in Maryland to rebuild my 1986 305 Vin H.
I asked to price it with a roller camshaft kit and to try and increase low to mid-range torque. He's coming back with $3600, +$400 to dyno and break it in.
He's not offering any kind of warranty.

Is this pretty much standard these days? No warranty.

I do not have the equipment to pull the engine myself so there's gonna be some extra on top of that to R&R the engine itself.

I can get a reman, pretty much stock, put it in it for about $4600 with warranty.

Any advice appreciated.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:03 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: To Rebuild or Remanufacture

How confident are you in the ability of the rebuilder you have had quote the job? $3600 does seem like an awful lot for a basic rebuild. The cam swap is nothing as the rebuild would include removal of the cam anyhow.

And you could go bigger than that 305 for not too much more money!

How much work can you or are you willing to attempt yourself?

Old 02-05-2009, 03:11 PM

The main problem I have I live in an apt. IE no garage. No place to keep the engine otherwise I'd have no problem pulling the engine myself. I've never been really inside one before and am new to the area so don't know anybody local willing to advise. I'm pretty handy with the tools. I work for a Golf Course Construction Co. and when we shut the jobs down for the winter I "mechanic" on the old equipment. Mind you it's mostly parts changing and calling the shop guys for diagnostic advice, minor welding (hard to ruin 1 5/8" steel lol). I have a full set of tools, hand and air.

Short story I guess not really able to do much that would save me any money that I can think of.I guess I could pull the motor with an excavator but have no place "Clean" to tear it down and rebuild it.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:52 AM

Well I found this
http://www.chvparts.com/engines/blaz...c_305lb_3.html
Which definitely appears to be a better deal. If I can get the covers on ASAP I could pull the old with the hoe and replace with same I suppose.
Anybody ever dealt with these guys. Are they bona fide Chevy?