Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

rebuilt 1996 4.3 (w code)

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 10:22 PM
jr03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default rebuilt 1996 4.3 (w code)

hi all
i just did a completerebuilt onmy 96 blazer 4.3 (w) (the intake gasket went out and dumped coolant in the oil)
scent rebuilingit i have a heavly oil used (40 miles to a quart and haft of oil) i have checked this three times
i have changed to o2 senders and the fpr and still useing oil
now the fpr made it runn a lot better but after last 40 milecheck it runs rougt now
when replacing the fpr the intake mamiflod showed wet area at 1/3/5 and 6 cly runner 2/4 where carbon dry
i have aslo cleaned the egr and the plunger move great
any help would be great
thanks jr03

Old 03-07-2008, 06:24 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: rebuilt 1996 4.3 (w code)

The O2 sensors and fuel pressure regulator have nothing to do with engine oil consumption.

How indepth was your rebuild? Did you pull the cylinders? What was done with the heads? New valve seals? Did you replace the PCV (positive crankcase ventilation valve)?

Old 03-07-2008, 07:48 PM

hi thanks for the info ok i did a complete rebuild with rings and rods and mainsand cam buschings i did reused the cam and balance shaft new timing gears and chain and new oil pumpand had the heads looked over at a shop and he repalced one exshust valve and said the valve seats where good and he checked all springs and shimed as needed,yes i did repalce the pcv valve.
thanks for the help

Old 03-07-2008, 08:04 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I hate to sound like a broken record, but were new valve seals installed? Before you installed the rings/pistons, did you hone the cylinders?

Old 03-07-2008, 09:19 PM

hi yes i was told they where replaced yes i ran a dry hone in the clys, this motor had no ridge to speck of in the clys
thanks

Old 03-07-2008, 09:37 PM
972DRBLAZER is an unknown quantity at this point

have you looked under your truck for any possible leaks? thats alot of oil being used. if you are burning it, you should be able to see it come out of the tailpipe. also, see if you have any oil in your radiator. if you can find out were the oil is going, we can find the problem.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:21 AM

hi ok there are no leaks under the unit ,this thing will show blue smoke when at a take off but shows none when driveing down the road (had a freind follow me for 20 miles),
there is no oil in thecoolant or any coolant in the oil, nor dose the oil smell like fuel, now it ran great after replaceing fpr and after 40 mile drive its back to runnig rough and smoking at stop signand lots of sute and water from the tail pipe when reving up th throttle sitting still
thanks

Old 03-09-2008, 09:29 PM
972DRBLAZER is an unknown quantity at this point

did you run a compression test?

Old 03-09-2008, 09:47 PM

hi not yet well run one and get back to you all
well take pic of plugs also
thanks

*Combining Consecutive Posts*

well also run leak down test and fuel presure test
thanks

*EDIT by swartlkk* - Combining consecutive posts. Please use the edit feature to add additional information to your post if another member has yet to reply.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:48 PM

well also run leak down test and fuel presure test
thanks

Quick Reply: rebuilt 1996 4.3 (w code)