Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Rebuilt or Crate Motor.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 01:38 PM
95_Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rebuilt or Crate Motor.

Which would be the cheapest and best way to go, eventually i want to put newwer live into my blazer and was wondering what would be the best way to go, getting a crate motor or just having it rebuilt. Same goes for the transmission and transfercase.

Old 11-11-2007, 05:13 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Rebuilt or Crate Motor.

I would imagine that a crate would run more than a rebuilt, but I would prefer a crate with a good warranty if the price was right. For a tranny, I would get a remanufactured as opposed to a rebuilt, but I would think a rebuilt transfer case would be okay.

Old 11-12-2007, 12:13 AM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

Deffinitly crate motor, as for the tranni and transfer case I would go with what rriddle3 said and that would be fine!!!

Old 11-12-2007, 06:08 AM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

My Father and I put a $1200 rebuilt engine in my second Astro and it did wonderfully. Kinda wished we pulled the engine before junking it. Don't know what your long term goals are but it seems like longevity is a factor for you. In that instance, I would go with crate because over the long run you'll have more peace of mind with a warranty, plus you can always get a beefier crate engine instead of going with a slightly bored rebuilt.

Run a quick search on here about rebuilt tranny as there have been a few threads of the benefits of each: rebuilt VS new.

Transfercase just seems like a lot less moving parts and you might be safer than the other two with a rebuilt. You could always check out S10warehouse on eBay to see what he has in stock, too!

Old 11-12-2007, 06:37 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Rebuilt or crate/remanufactured engine is all dependant on how much wear the various components of the engine show. Also, this is dependant on what you can or want to do yourself. Are you paying a shop to pull the motor, rebuild it, and reinstall it; or are you doing it yourself? What is your engine doing now that makes you want to rebuild/replace it?

On the transmission, I would recommend a remanufactured unit. There are various places online that sell remans and the primary benefit is these places remanufacture many of a specific type of transmission at a time and have trained people doing the work instead of a local rebuild which is subject to the experience of one or two people that generally do not rebuild transmissions on a daily basis. But again, what is making you think you need to rebuild/replace your transmission?

Transfer case... Well, unless you are having any trouble, I wouldn't touch it. These transfer cases usually do not wear out. So has something gone wrong inside that has you inquiring about it? If so, what is going on with it?

Old 11-12-2007, 10:31 AM
95_Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys, and swartlkk nothing is wrong with any of it yet (knock on wood! lol) i'm just looking forward and planning ahead.