Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Replace waterpump -97 4.3

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 03:20 PM
Mickeymouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Replace waterpump -97 4.3

Hi again...

Last night I tried to replace my waterpump, but I couldn't remove the axel to the fan...

Do need any special tools?

Custom made?

Do you need to remove the cooler? And then take it out and put it in a vise? I'm not sure vise is the right word? (Piece of irontool on a workbench were you can jam the piece that you're working on) Hehe..That was a good explanation Eh?

Sorry if my english is very bad sometimes!!

Hope you know what I mean??

Regards Michael

Old 02-28-2008, 08:47 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Replace waterpump -97 4.3

There is a special tool available for removing the fan clutch. I have been able to do it with a large adjustable wrench and a hammer. Just leave the belt on and give it a smack. If that doesn't work, sometimes you can get a pry bar between the head of on of the bolts for the pulley and the hex.

You may want to check with your local autoparts store and ask if they have a tool rental policy. That would be by far the easiest way to handle it.

Old 03-01-2008, 03:15 PM

Yeeeehaa finally I got it loose....

I had to take a piece of iron and jam it between two nuts and use an adjustable wrench and a hammer 20 minutes later it was loose. That axel nut really was difficult to get loose...anyway now the waterpump i replaced....

Thanks for the tip!!

Regards Michael

Old 03-01-2008, 04:24 PM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

Glad you got it off!! I usually take a ratchet and socket to the pully the clutch fan is attatched to and while the ratchet is on tighten I take a large cresent and loosen the clutch fan!!

Old 03-02-2008, 04:03 PM

I just got another question the fanclutch is it possible the it's stops working after a couple of years. I mean it shouldn't run as fast when it's cold and faster when it's hot?

The reason I'm wondering is because my engine never gets hotter than 150-160.....I'm guessing the termostat is the reason for this? I'm going to change this sometime this week, to test if it's damaged.

But if the fanclutch has jamed this would effect the engine from reaching it's work temp. "fast" enough? I mean it takes longer...

By the way really nice Blazer you got!!!!! I saw you're other pics of it looks awesome!!
Regards Michael

Old 03-03-2008, 07:11 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The thermostat is in sole control of the coolant temperature in the engine block. If you are not reaching proper regulating temperature (195*F t-stat should result in gauge temps around 200-210*F), your thermostat is at fault, not the fan. The purpose of the fan is to aid in cooling of the coolant in the radiator. While it determines the coolant temperature as it enters the block, the t-stat controls the flow of that coolant into the block.

About the only thing a failed, always engaged, fan clutch would do is sound like a jet engine as you drive around and cut down on your available power as well as your fuel mileage.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:01 AM

Thanks for your quick answer.... It was as I suspected, I'm going to change the termostat later in this week....and yes my motor sound like a jet engine so I'm going to have a look at that too.....

Is it possible to tear the fan down into pieces and "grease" it up so it might start working again? Anyone who tried?

Or this is just an idea I had, has anyone tried to mount an electrical fan?

Regards Michael

Old 03-03-2008, 11:23 AM
Administrator

No, it is not possible to repair a thermo-viscous fan clutch in this manner. Your best bet is to just replace it.

You could put in an electric fan if you do not like the simplicity of a thermostatically controlled mechanical fan.

Old 03-03-2008, 02:16 PM

Ok no idea trying then....The reason that I asked is because I have 2 electrical fans from two former vehicle's....the are just laying and collecting dust...

Quote:
About the only thing a failed, always engaged, fan clutch would do is sound like a jet engine as you drive around and cut down on your available power as well as your fuel mileage.

Correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't your power increase and mileage decrease, if you use an electric fan?

My blazer drinks around 17.4 Mpg is this normal? Hopefully this will decrease after changing the termostat...

Regards Michael