Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

replaced cpi now missfire

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 05:59 PM
crey 95 Blazre is an unknown quantity at this point
Default replaced cpi now missfire

Hi again, spent the $$$ and installed new spider, had a reg, just in case just that bad, and it was indeed sprayig gas, but found some gas puddled on drivers side too so went all nine yards. I thought iI did it right , checked for leaks before put plenum back, all seemed good, now engine got bad miss, code says cyl.5 missfire, what I do wrong? anyonr? me gotta remove and check all poppets again? do I need another gasket, dumb question, cheap enough.

Old 01-06-2008, 06:08 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: replaced cpi now missfire

When you did the repair, did you replace the 'nut kit' (internal fuel lines)?

Old 01-06-2008, 06:09 PM
94blueknight is on a distinguished road

idk the actual name but did u check the plastic fuel lines inside the plenum coming from the fuel lines? idk the name so i just thought i'd throw it out there.

Old 01-06-2008, 06:58 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Just 1 minute 10 seconds slow there Ryan!

Old 01-06-2008, 06:59 PM

did repair today, no didnt change fuel feed, return, but had no leaks there that were visible, just wondering now if i put poppets in right places, triple checked before i started and thought it odd passenger side poppets different location then drivers,spider pass. side 2 high , 1 low,low 1 to #6 cyl, upper left to #4, and last one to #2cyl. but drivers sidesame locations on spider but first poppet high and front of engine to #1 lower poppet to #3 and last to #5, hard to explain with words but different then opposite side, unless me got confused, but then wouldnt I get two missfires #5and#3

Old 01-06-2008, 07:06 PM
Administrator

On the CPI motor, it doesn't matter what order you put the poppet nozzles into their bores. The CPI fuel system consists of only 1 electronic injector operating in a batch fire mode which allows pressure to all 6 poppet nozzles at once. So long as all of the nozzles are fully seated into each bore, you shouldn't have a problem there.

I would attach a fuel pressure gauge and see what the pressure does after you turn the key off (leak down). Not replacing the internal fuel lines after replacing the CPI spider has resulted in fuel leaks sooner or later down the road... The internal fuel lines should be replaced whenever disturbed.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:16 PM

I appreciate what ur saying about the fuel lines, but its the #5 missfire that has me wondering what I did wrong , didnt have the problem right before I did the switch today, now I do, something fall in the #5 bore , would this cause a missfire, tried to be careful, cleaned things up, seen black gook( carbon?) in bores tried to swab out, maybe made things worse?

Old 01-06-2008, 07:20 PM
Administrator

Running some seafoam through the intake track wouldn't hurt matters. I guess it is possible that there is junk blocking off the spray of fuel from the #5 injector. If you were going to pop it open again, I would inspect them all.

How does the #5 plug look? Does it look like it is firing? Check the wires both on the plug and on the distributor cap. I have seen wires work themselves off of the terminals at the plug and on the cap before. Possible that is what is happening here.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:34 PM

yeah pulled plug looks like normal wear,checked wires all in place. got black exaust now, didnt before the change over, guess I gotta pull it off again,not that bad a job, just not looking forward to it. musta got something in bore, noticed another post on the spider change, he said it mattered which poppet goes where, especially drivers side

Old 01-06-2008, 07:39 PM
Administrator

As I said, so long as they all seat properly into the bore and stay there, it doesn't matter. They won't fit too many different ways. On the newer '96+ SCFI motors it definitely matters.

Quick Reply: replaced cpi now missfire