Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

replaced engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 11:19 PM
blazenhustle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default replaced engine

ok, i have a 96 blazer, 4dr, and i blew a head gasket. took it to the shop and they put in another engine instead of just the head gasket.......i was wondering does it make sense to fix it up....or just wait till i get aupdated truck...it had 136000+, and now i think its about 87000+..

not sure if i'm posting in the right area

Old 03-31-2008, 09:02 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: replaced engine

Not sure I understand your question.
If I understand, the old engine died and the shop dropped in a used engine with 87,00 miles on it?

A properly maintained 4.3L will alst 200,000 miles. In most cases it will outlive the body.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:16 PM

i was just wondering if it was worth puttin performance parts in it with the new engine going in it?

i've researched newer engines in older blazers, and the results were so-so....most people on other websites says it is worth it, and others say its a bad investment

i would love to fix up the engine, but time is money, and i don't want to waste money and time, so i was wondering if there was anyone who did replace the old engine and went form there...

ideas of what i wanna put (a):
Max Volt Power System or a Ground System
cold air intake system ( lookin for a good brand)
new spark plug wires
supercharger

not sure....my mind is running wild...

Old 04-01-2008, 12:00 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

The best upgrades will be to air in and out of the engine. Anytime you cna make it breath better you will make it perform better. Cold air intake is only half the equation. Headers is hte other half.

IF you want to boast the ignition that will help too, however you will also want to boost fuel. The puter will do its damnest to maintain 14.7 to 1 air to fuel ratio. Speaking of which, a performance chip will do a ton too.

On the realistic side of things.
How much money are planning on spending on performance upgrades?
A stock 4.3L pushes roughly 200hp and 250 ft pounds of torque. A stock 5.7L pushes 300hp, and 350 foot pounds of torque, plus it has a huge aftermarket where parts are on every corner. For the 1K-2K to drop in a 5.7L and pick up 100hp/torque it may be more cost effective in the long run. How wild do you want to go?

Old 04-01-2008, 09:50 AM

well, i got 600 saved up for now, i work...

i know for sure i want the cold air intake

but i want to get some good parts but for reasonable prices..
the performance chip is now a definate must.

*Combining consecutive posts.

oh, a 98 engine is going in it....

Old 04-01-2008, 10:01 AM

oh, a 98 engine is going in it....

Old 04-01-2008, 10:47 PM
BF Veteran

Get a programmer.
Tweak teh tranny firmness, and tune up the engine performance. Taht will be your best bang for the buck right now. Then you can add the other stuff.