Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Replaced engine and i'm baffled with P1345 code.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 02:08 PM
Beginning Member
joethejman4us is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Replaced engine and i'm baffled with P1345 code.

I have a 2001 Chevy Blazer 2WD with V6 4.3 Vortex engine

Recently my daughters car had a rod go thru the side of the engine so I bought her a remanufactured long block from a local engine shop. Swapped alot of my old parts from old engine and dropped it in.
Problem I am having is the P1345 code (CKP or CMP correlation error) won't go away. Car starts up and runs great. I have pulled the distributer out and redone the timing procedure (rotating engine to TDC by checking piston travel and Crankshaft pull timing marks) like 5 times already (used guides Ive read in these forums) but the code still pops up. I have replaced the CKP sensor already too. If I unplug the CMP it it says its unplugged so it seems to be reading both censors. I checked the timing marks on the crank and cam gear before i put the engine in and they are aligned according to the manual.

I'm baffled as what to try now. Should I try replacing the distributer? The CMP? Distributer didn't seem to have excessive play (at least no more then my other Blazer). I don't want to sink any more money if I can avoid it as its killin my wallet. Also will it pass the emissions test if this is the only code that is set?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Daughter is starting classes again soon and would like to have her back in it.

Thanks in advance,
Joe

Old 08-18-2008, 02:41 PM
vadatara2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Replaced engine and i'm baffled with P1345 code.

I've heard you may have to have the timing set with a scan tool. You could try rotating the cap a little either way and see if the code goes away.

Old 08-18-2008, 03:07 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You most likely need a Crankshaft Variation Learn (also called CASE relearn) procedure done. Any high feature, bi-directional scan tool can perform this procedure, but if you don't know someone, it will likely cost you an hour at shop rate.

Have a look in the DIY section for an explanation of this code.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:12 PM
Beginning Member

Well I took car to the shop and had them do a Case relearn and cam retard. Cleared the code but on the way home I noticed the check engine light flashing. Then i started it up today and Check Engine light came on again.

Checked the code, P0304 Cylinder 4 misfire. I had replaced the wires and plugs but figured I'd swap the wire and plug from another cylinder to see if the code moved but still gave cylinder 4 misfire. I have no idea what to do to fix it

Also I noticed the oil pressure after I got it back from the shop is ALOT lower then it was before I took it in.
BEFORE I was getting around 50-60 (on gauge) at cold start up and once warmed up it ran around 30-40.
AFTER I picked it up from the shop it reads around 35-39 at start up and once warmed up it drops to around 18.

I tried changing the oil and filter but made no difference. I'm wondering if the shop could of messed up the oil pump somehow when they worked on the distributor? I'm gunshy of touching it cause I dont want to mess it up from were they timed it.

p.s. sorry swartlkk bout making the other post rather then using this thread.

Old 10-05-2008, 03:48 PM
Beginning Member

Update:
Well I changed the ignition module/coil (friend gave me one that he knew was working) and I changed the fuel filter (it took ALOT of air to blow thru it so I assumed it was stopped up). I also added 2 cans of Seafoam stuff. Drove it around all day yesterday and some today, so far haven't seen any codes pop up yet. Keeping my fingers crossed and gonna attempt to do a drive cycle tonight and get the readiness tests completed.

Still kinda stumped on the drop in oil pressure. Distributor seems to be in all the way and I checked to make sure the sensor was plugged in well.

Also Is it common for the 4.3 to make clicking noises? Not sure if it takes a bit since the engine was re manufactured. Sounds like its coming from the lifter area.Only have around 200 miles on it so far.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:51 PM
Beginning Member
s10blazed is on a distinguished road

I've been reading up on the CASE relearn procedure. I'm under the impression it won't work if there are outstanding DTCs. Snagged this from another source:

Originally Posted by Google Search
If there is any power train trouble code other than P1336 (Crankshaft Position Variation not learned), the computer will disable the relearn function until the problem that caused the code has been eliminated.
Is P1345 another exception?

Old 11-05-2009, 01:37 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

P1345 will not prohibit a CASE relearn. A failed CASE relearn will set the P1336 code and lock out the CASE relearn function. This can be remedied by simply clearing the P1336 code and trying again. If it fails a second time, then some trouble shooting needs to be done.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:28 AM
Beginning Member
s10blazed is on a distinguished road

Well I had my mechanic buddy with the sophisticated diagnostic tool attempt the CASE relearn procedure.

We got to the stage were it prompts us to rev the engine to 4,000 RPMs but the test procedure won't start. He claims that when it works properly with his tool, a message pops up as soon as it hits 4 grand and automates the rest of the test. In our case, the message that it is starting the procedure pops up and vanishes instantly. The scanner then eventually times out waiting to rev up with no error message.

I tried to check to see what the timing advance/retard was at. I'm not real sure what I was looking for. The one screen showed the timing advance fluctuating from a normal 20ish all the way up to 200+ while reving. Mostly 20 - 30 and the retard info was a solid 30.

Any info or suggestions? I am going to re-install the distributor by resetting TDC and re-aiming the button instead of just rotating it until it idles best.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:25 AM
Beginning Member
nineteensixtycaddy is on a distinguished road

so... what fixed it? anything?