Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Replacement for 4.3 CPI engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 06:31 AM
Beginning Member
badwrench is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Replacement for 4.3 CPI engine

I have 92 S10 Blazer, 4.3 CPI, with auto. vin W. Had eng. knock, pulled and found spun bearing. Went to local wholesale engine place and bought long block. When I got home and unwrapped and started checking the two blocks I could see a major difference. 1. It did not have the internal balancer, 2. the block had anopening for a mechanical fuel pump. I have not taken the time to check the angle of the heads or anything else. Will this engine work WITHOUT modifications other than blanking off the fuel pump cavity?? I would think that my flywheel would be wrong + whatever else. I need to find something to show the place I bought the engine that it is not the correct one. Thanks for any help.[/align]

Old 11-02-2008, 04:19 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Replacement for 4.3 CPI engine

You can check the article linked to below for differences and cross-overs.

Rebuilding the New Chevy 262 by Doug Anderson

It is quite likely that the block will work, however, you will likely notice more engine vibration from the missing balance shaft.

Old 11-03-2008, 04:02 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Replacement for 4.3 CPI engine

Your block should be a '85 or '86.
Pray its the '86. '85 will be a two piece rear main seal and if so you will have to modify the oil pan to make it work. Taht is you will have to modify the oil pan under the long block to make it work. GM never put a two piece rear main seal 4.3L into the S10 truck so there is no stock or aftermarket oil pan to use, you have to fab one up yourself.

If it is an '86, it should work. good luck finding a block off plate for the fuel pump. I ended up making mine out of some steel I had laying around. The stock V8 plate wont work.

And, yes it will swap into your '92. You will need to swap over your intake manifold and all your sensors. Teh block holes should be there. You may notneed to get a new flexplate, if you do theyaren't too expensive.

Check your heads for the asseory bracket bolt hole locations. I had to drill and tapone hole ont he passengers side head. Noe biggy, I used a piece of cardboard to make a template to locate the hole in relation to the other mounitn bolts. Carefull you dont dril to deep and pierce the water jacket. I did and had to patch the hole with some JB Weld.

http://chevytruckworld.tenmagazines....sp?album=18998